Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless Woes..

This is a discussion on Wireless Woes.. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; all i have is my LAN connection under device manager/network connections (which is working fine) - but nothing at all ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Woes..

all i have is my LAN connection under device manager/network connections (which is working fine) - but nothing at all regarding the wireless adapter/connection.. hence the request for drivers..
      Just to clarify, did this PC previously connect to Virgin using a wireless adapter? If so, is the adapter a USB, PCI or built in type? Can you post the make and model?
      Until you get a connection made, disable the Security in the router. It is likely that some of your console devices do not support WPA, which is the default setting of the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      dr3n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsldude View Post
      Using a computer connected via Ethernet.
      browse to 192.168.0.1
      click setup if black router, wireless settings if white
      change channel to 1/6/11 (experiment with each)
      click apply.

Now refresh the available network list on the PC that was picking up
      other wireless networks, get this PC connected before we worry about
      the other PC with no wireless device.
      sorry - think you misunderstood me - i can detect the wireless networks with my other equipment (360/psp/etc) so i know there is no fault on the receiving end.. My pc however is showing no wireless connections at all under either the device manager or the network connections (just my LAN), and the router in every other aspect seems to be fully functional as im using it now via ethernet...

any ideas..?

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Uninstall the software/drivers on the pc for the wireless, then reinstall.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't think anyone is misunderstanding you, I think you are confusing us!

Quote Originally Posted by dr3n View Post
      none of my devices (360/Wii/phone/ds/psp/etc) are detecting a wireless network at all..
      Quote Originally Posted by dr3n View Post
      sorry - think you misunderstood me - i can detect the wireless networks with my other equipment (360/psp/etc)

dr3n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Uninstall the software/drivers on the pc for the wireless, then reinstall.
      i didnt think there were any drivers for the wireless..? there doesn't appear to be any drivers for the router at all..

Originally Posted by dr3n View Post
      none of my devices (360/Wii/phone/ds/psp/etc) are detecting a wireless network at all..

Originally Posted by dr3n View Post
      sorry - think you misunderstood me - i can detect the wireless networks with my other equipment (360/psp/etc)
      what i meant was that my 360/psp can detect my neighbours wireless networks but not the wireless for *my* new sky router... apologies if i didn't make this clear.. The internet via ethernet connection is fine.. logging into the router shows that wireless is active and working to all intense purposes - I just cant actually detect or find it with anything..

Just to clarify, did this PC previously connect to Virgin using a wireless adapter? If so, is the adapter a USB, PCI or built in type? Can you post the make and model?
      Until you get a connection made, disable the Security in the router. It is likely that some of your console devices do not support WPA, which is the default setting of the router.
      When connected to virgin i used a netgear router that was connected via ethernet also (same setup as sky - different kit).. there were no drivers for it - it just simply worked..! and yes - tried disabling security but still to no avail..

thanks for all the help offered guys - it's stumping me too...

Xeona is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01227363
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hello,

From what you have said, it seems your computer does not support wireless - Unless you have removed the drivers (NOT the router drivers, you dont need those, the wireless drivers) it would work, and dont think you would have.

Not all computers have wireless, infact, most desktop computers dont have it at all, just because you have ethernet, does not mean you will have wireless.

To install wireless, you need to install new hardware, not just drivers. This can be in the form of internal, or external (AKA: USB)

Regards,

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think we have now established that your PC does not have a wireless adapter, so lets concentrate on connecting one device at a time. Starting with the Xbox; and I am assuming that it has a wireless adapter in the form of a USB adapter, do the following -
      1. Check that you are connected to the internet by using your PC with ethernet. Go to the Wireless settings and make a note of the SSID.
      2. Under Wireless Security select WPA-PSK and make a note of the passkey. This is all capital letters, no numbers.
      3. Connect the XBox 360 wireless adaptor by plugging it into one of the available USB ports on the XBox 360.
      4. Go to the XBox dashboard. Go to the System blade and select Network Settings.
      5. Select Edit Settings, highlight the Wireless Mode field at the bottom of the screen and press the A button.
      6. Now enter the SSID of the wireless router as noted down in step 1 and the encryption type used as noted down in step 2.
      7. Now test the XBox Live connection by returning to the Network Settings screen and selecting Test XBox Live Connection.
      The XBox 360 will now test your network settings. Your IP Address, DNS, MTU, ICMP and XBox Live settings should state "Confirmed". The NAT field should also say "Open".
      If it fails to connect go back to the Wireless settings in the router and change the Channel to 13. If it still fails try 12 then 11 and so on until you connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12