Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless connection issues

This is a discussion on Wireless connection issues within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all hope someone can help, I have just got connected to sky mid, ethernet connections are ok but when ...

wenners is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless connection issues

Hi all hope someone can help,

I have just got connected to sky mid, ethernet connections are ok but when i try to connect to wireless i have the followign issues.

Connection is made ok but no web pages will open,
      Have carried out all the sky recomendations and still nothing, sky support is not much use.

Have two laptops with the same issue

any help would very much appreciated

Regards
      Wenners

PS router is a Sagem

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection issues

Probably wireless security issue -- check by logging into the router's user interface via ethernet and temporarily turn off wireless security.

If all works without wireless security, check that settings in WPA PSK TKIP section of the router match those in the computer's wireless adapter utilties (or in Windows Zero Config is using that instead).

Jay33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Exclamation Re: Wireless connection issues

Quote Originally Posted by wenners View Post
      Hi all hope someone can help,

I have just got connected to sky mid, ethernet connections are ok but when i try to connect to wireless i have the followign issues.

Connection is made ok but no web pages will open,
      Have carried out all the sky recomendations and still nothing, sky support is not much use.

Have two laptops with the same issue

any help would very much appreciated

Regards
      Wenners

Hi Mate,

i could offer you some help here. the above suggestion is pretty good if i can touch up on a few things. firstly if it was a security issue (encryption) then you would not be able to connected wirelessley to the router, as this needs both the router AND the pc to be talking the same language. i could help sort this but would need a few things first. if you could open up command prompt on ur computer ( start> all programs> accessories> command prompt) IF ITS VISTA YOU NEED TO RIGHT CLICK COMMAND PROMPT AND SELECT "run as administrator" then type this in for me: ping 192.168.0.1

THEN once that's done type this next: ping WWW.GOOGLE.COM (in lower case)

do this for both computers in question WITH THE ETHERNET CABLE OUT! as its wireless we want to test. we are testing connectivity here, and from this will be able to tell you the problem based on what the results are. write them down or take a screen shot for me. what you are looking for is "SENT = ? RECEIVED =? LOST =?"

once you got tht for both 192.168.0.1 (ur router) and Google let me know then i will take it from there
      Last edited by Jay33; 22-11-08 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Probably wireless security issue -- check by logging into the router's user interface via ethernet and temporarily turn off wireless security.

If all works without wireless security, check that settings in WPA PSK TKIP section of the router match those in the computer's wireless adapter utilties (or in Windows Zero Config is using that instead).
      the windows zero configuration utility is used for enabling windows based software to manage WIFI connections rather than 3rd party software such as belkin, netgear, buffalo ect ect, HOWEVER the downside is once you restart your PC after enabling WZC (windows zero config) the changes are lost! its a temp fix. to make it permanent you have to configure the 3rd party utility software itself which can be a job sometimes as there are so many different manufactures. a note to the person in question. to enable WZC open you run box (windows+r on the keyboard) then type "services.msc" then double click on wireless zero configuration in the list. then click on START. this will remain in place until the PC is rebooted.

Thanks

hope this helps guys.
      Microsoft Certified IT Professional - MCP/ MCDST 70-271, 70-272, A+

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are able to connect to the router and hold the connection it will not be a router security issue. Can you type http://192.168.0.1/ in the address bar and view the router Status.? It is more likely to be the security in your Laptop which is stopping the connection. Turn off any firewalls and AV you have running and see if you can connect. If you still cannot connect, start in Safe Mode with Networking, see if you can connect then.

If you right click the wireless tray icon and select 'Let Windows Manage my Connection' WZC will stay enabled and any 3rd party managers will be disabled.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are able to connect to the router and hold the connection it will not be a router security issue. Can you type http://192.168.0.1/ in the address bar and view the router Status.? It is more likely to be the security in your Laptop which is stopping the connection. Turn off any firewalls and AV you have running and see if you can connect. If you still cannot connect, start in Safe Mode with Networking, see if you can connect then.

If you right click the wireless tray icon and select 'Let Windows Manage my Connection' WZC will stay enabled and any 3rd party managers will be disabled.
      your amusing this guy knows what advanced boot options are and how to access them? if he can connect by ethernet AND get a local connection to the router using WIFI then i doubt very much that booting in safe mode with networking would make much difference as this option disables and non critical drivers from loading except networking functions. its more than likley to be something else given the case. im waiting on a few things back from him, then lets see where were at
      Last edited by Jay33; 22-11-08 at 03:10 PM. Reason: correction
      Microsoft Certified IT Professional - MCP/ MCDST 70-271, 70-272, A+

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

your amusing
      Yes lots of people say I have a natural wit and should be on TV

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.