Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WEP can't connect, WPA can...

This is a discussion on WEP can't connect, WPA can... within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; After now being able to connect wirelessly with my laptop & main PC, my son wanted me to try getting ...

aquarian3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Smile WEP can't connect, WPA can...

After now being able to connect wirelessly with my laptop & main PC, my son wanted me to try getting his Nintendo DS wi-fi 'able'. I can connect the DS by either turning off my routers security or putting the router onto WEP.

Clearly I don't want an unsecure router, so I tried the WEP way but now my laptop won't connect.

The router shows up in the network list but I'm not given any options to input the passkey.

My question is, is there anywhere to put in a passkey so my laptop will connect, or does a computer not need you to do so?

With my WPA ticked in the router page, when connecting I'm asked to input that p/w, so why not with the wep key? Or is there somewhere else it's supposed to be in-putted?

Has anyone any ideas as to why my laptop will connect in wpa but not wep?

Thanks for your patience

Lisa

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: WEP can't connect, WPA can...

WEP isn't very secure. It's better than nothing but nowhere near as good as WPA. I really think you should be making the console work on WPA rather than resetting your laptop to WEP.

Depending upon your laptops OS you will need to take steps to change from WPA to WEP and then enter the encryption key you have chosen for WEP on the router. If you have used the same encryption key for WEP and WPA then your key may be compromised if you switch back to WPA (because WEP is is easy to break) and you should select another security key.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you set the router to WEP ? (see Sky CD or tutorials on this site for how to access router user interface).

If you are using Vista the wireless encryption terminology used in setting up the wireless adapter in the computer is confusing.

You should be able to use WEP and may have no choice if the gaming hardware doesn't support WPA.

aquarian3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question Re: WEP can't connect, WPA can...

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      WEP isn't very secure. It's better than nothing but nowhere near as good as WPA. I really think you should be making the console work on WPA rather than resetting your laptop to WEP.
      The DS won't work on anything other than WEP, so I've no choice unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Depending upon your laptops OS you will need to take steps to change from WPA to WEP and then enter the encryption key you have chosen for WEP on the router. If you have used the same encryption key for WEP and WPA then your key may be compromised if you switch back to WPA (because WEP is is easy to break) and you should select another security key.
      This is what I'm having trouble with; when I change the settings from WPA to WEP, in the network wireless box (that you get on double clicking the wireless icon in the taskbar) it doesn't give me any option to type in a key if I have WEP selected in my router settings. Whereas, if settings are on WPA on clicking the network wirless box to 'connect' to my router a box appears asking for my p/w. Why would this be?

I don't use the same p/w for WEP and WPA, but after you asking, I thought I'd see if I could connect using the same p/w.

In the router settings page; I copied the WEP key, then ticked to use WPA security, then pasted the new WEP key p/w into the WPA p/w box. Then I logged out of the router settings page.

I then went back to my wireless network connections (clicking the icon in the taskbar), clicked to connect to my router and again pasted the new WEP/WPA p/w. I could connect as I was using WPA settings.

Then I went back to my router settings page and ticked to use WEP security, making sure the p/w was still the same, I then logged out. My wireless disconnected as I'd changed settings, as it should do.

So I clicked to connect to my router again, this time it did give me a box to type in a p/w, so I pasted the WEP key. When I clicked to connect it went thru the motions but won't work!

So even though I have the same p/w for WEP and WPA my laptop won't connect with one but will with the other?

Can I ask if you all can connect using wep and wpa?

Also you say wep isn't as safe, why would this be? The jumble of letters and numbers are obscure, moreso than my wpa p/w.

Any thoughts?!

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds like you are approaching this in reverse. Once you get a reliable wireless connection WITHOUT security, you set a WEP passphrase in the router, where it will translate it to HEX.

Either add the passphrase or the HEX to your wireless adapter's user interface. It's better to use (cut and paste) the HEX key to avoid incompatibilities in the translation methods between different brands.

WEP can be cracked by those in the know -- for the time being worry about getting the connection working.