Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Display settings changed made wireless work!

This is a discussion on Display settings changed made wireless work! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This is something I've not heard of before and has me stunned....my son wanted to play a game called Pokemon ...

aquarian3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Smile Display settings changed made wireless work!

This is something I've not heard of before and has me stunned....my son wanted to play a game called Pokemon World Online. I was having problems seeing a 'register' button on the games log-in gui. In its forums it said to change your display settings to 96 dpi. After I did this I noticed my wireless monitor icon in my taskbar was all lit up! I then had to reboot the PC for the settings to take effect and on starting up my wireless is now working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anybody ever heard of this before? I have been trying to get my wireless router to work for a year now with no success and I cannot believe that by changing a display setting that it would even work, but I have a now working connection that previously failed to acknowledge it was there.

I now need to duplicate this for my laptop to see if it was a fluke, but I need to know from you guys....why would this happen? How can changing a display setting make my wireless work? It is the only thing I have changed on my computer and I don't understand it?!

I look forward to hearing your responses!

Lisa
      -x-

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Display settings changed made wireless work!

Take a look at this forum entry elsewhere. Lots of suggestions. bootmgr is compressed - Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Thanks

Sorry - wrong link to wrong posting!

If you've made more of your screen visible by using a more dpi then maybe you were simply missing some of the possible alternatives on the screen as you were only seeing part of the screen. Changing ther dpi won't directly effect the WiFi connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, the taskbar on my main PC was completely visible before the change, I could view all icons, the wireless icon always had a red cross thru it and I know logically it doesn't make sense, but even now I can visibly see my router (through my laptop) in the wireless network list, whereas previously I couldn't see it at all and I haven't changed any display settings on my laptop. I also haven't updated anything or installed anything, or hadn't altered any settings in the router.

I am now at the stage of trying to get my laptop to work and I'm reading these forums for help, as I can 'see' the router in my laptop wireless settings page but can't connect.

I've tried disabling the firewalls but no joy. It seems that since the display changes on my main PC, I can connect wirelessly to the router if I have security disabled, (and on my main PC) but not on my laptop????????

If I have security enabled I can't connect via my laptop but haven't tried on my main PC as son is still playing his game!

I just can't understand it, it doesn't make sense! Hand on heart I have tried connecting wirelessly beforehand but couldn't even 'see' the router, now I can and all I've done is change display settings, odd eh?!

Thanks

Are you trying to use Internet Sharing? You shouldn't, if you are! The fact that you can see the Router through the Laptop when it becomes visible on the main PC suggests you are.

Your WiFi should be set to 'Infrastructure' not 'Ad Hoc' by the way.

Also I'm assuming you have your main PC attached to the router with a LAN cable or is that WiFi?

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Are both the lap top and router using the same security type WEP or WPA? Unless you have no security enabled that would stop you connecting.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think there is any way changing the DPI could enable wireless. There is one interesting thing though, 96dpi is the default setting for Windows, if you had to change it to that, then someone had changed it previously and possibly messed up some other settings. It could be that the system changes needed to apply 96dpi, 'jogged' the system and allowed the wireless to operate. Stranger things have happened.

If you can connect with security disabled it means you are entering the wrong password key. to check this change the security key to a simple one where you cannot make a mistake, eg 1234abcd. If you cannot connect with security disabled then the security in the machine is causing the block. To check this start in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys,

Firstly many thanks for your replies, after reading your responses I decided to look once more at the settings in the router page, as I could 'see' the network now, but even after changing the password (wep) I couldn't connect.

I checked the MAC addresses and realised my laptop wasn't in there, after inputting it I'm now connected!

I had a look at the connections in the main PC and deleted a network bridge I'd put in whilst fiddling last yr trying to connect wirelessly, after deleting it my network connections window said it had found wireless in range and hey presto, I'm connected with both PC's.

After being on Sky for nearly 2 yrs do I hold a record for the longest time spent trying to connect wirelessly? And to think its all down to me changing the display settings! How weird!

Thanks again for your help

Lisa