Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

complete newbie help please!!!!

This is a discussion on complete newbie help please!!!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hiya im a complete newbie to sky and its products and not very technically minded so if someone could help ...

crumpy01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question complete newbie help please!!!!

hiya

im a complete newbie to sky and its products and not very technically minded so if someone could help me out without using technical mumbo jumbbo that would be great!!!

Basically im a mac user, i managed to install the broadband fine and thats all ok. Im now trying to get my windows laptop connecting to the wireless but i dont know where im going wrong. The laptop has found the connection and apparantley connected to it with a strong signal but when you go on internet explorer the websites won't load as if its not connected! i've been on both windows and sky help and tried the things they suggested but to no avail!

please help!!!!

lis

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: complete newbie help please!!!!

Probably useful to disclose what wireless adapter you have in the Windows machine.

Meanwhile it sounds as though the problem is with wireless encryption.

You need to apply the network passphrase printed on the router (or supplied on paper by Sky) to the utilities for your Windows machine's wireless adapter. Alternatively let Windows manage the connection and apply the passphrase to the appropriate part of Windows Networking. The wireless encryption standard is WPA TKIP.

I suggest you read the help files that came on the Sky CD, the tutorials on this site, or the manual (if any) which came with your wireless adapter.
      Last edited by fihart; 08-11-08 at 09:42 AM.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Sorry to appear pedantic but, default wifi encryption is WPA PSK!
      However, your wifi adapter should suss out the applied encryption level, if it is of a high enough standard to recognise all types of encryption.
      As above, let us know what kind of adapter it is.

Lis - the 'Network Key' supplied with your router is ALL UPPERCASE. Please ensure that you enter it that way.
      There could be many different things affecting the connection, but you should try changing only one thing at a time!
      When Windows sees the network, does it show 'Acquiring a network address' at all?
      Last edited by Ned Ludd; 08-11-08 at 12:58 PM.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It may also be worth checking if the connection is being blocked by a firewall. Can you actually access the router settings by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar? Username admin password sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok like i said im not really technically minded so half these words really dont mean a thing!!
      I dont know what wireless adapter is in the laptop, its a fujitsu siemens amilo but apart from that i cant help!
      As for wireless encryption!?!?!? really havnt got the foggiest!
      And isitme i assume you mean type those settings into the address bar on internet explorer, i've done that and it comes up with page cannot be displayed!
      I know im useless but i figured thats what these forums are for! for dumb people like me!!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

assuming you're using Windows Vista, click on the 2 monitors icons in the bottom right corner (near the clock) with your right mouse button and select 'Connect to a network'

then find the router name which matches yours (it'll be SKYxxxxx - look on the bottom of your router)

select the one that matches and click 'Connect'

enter your network key, which is the 8 capital letters on the bottom of the router - and they are ALL capital letters, no numbers

so long as it then says 'you've successfully connected...' you should be able to get online...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

thats the thing! i've done all that and it says im connected but i open up internet explorer and try to open a website and it just comes up with page cannot be displayed

the laptop model is L1300

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you able to connect using the supplied yellow cable? If you are not, boot into SafeMode with Networking and see if you can connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Right! Because you can't access the Sky router either you are not connected to it or, something on your machine is stopping you.

Lets deal with the second part first. Do you have a Firewall and what type is it?
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!