Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2 x Sky Broadband routers - using both?

This is a discussion on 2 x Sky Broadband routers - using both? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I have sky broadband and everything works ok. However, my house is over two floors and therefore my laptop ...

snewby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

2 x Sky Broadband routers - using both?

Hello,

I have sky broadband and everything works ok. However, my house is over two floors and therefore my laptop works fine with wireless when in the downstairs of my house (i.e. where the Modem is).

I have phone points upstairs also, so i purchased myself another identical skyer netgear wireless router. It seems to be working ok, and connects no problem and looks like it has a strong signal strength. However, it is not ceonnected to the internet.

I am looking for some advice on what it is I need to do to sort this connection out, without causing any problems to my other connection. Im guessing i need to do some sort on configuration or/and link up between my laptop and thid new modem, just not sure how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: 2 x Sky Broadband routers - using both?

Unfortunately you can't connect 2 modems to one broadband input on the same telephone line.

Also, the standard Sky router doesn't have a bridging facility.

Your best bet will be either to run a long ethernet cable between the downstairs router and your upstairs router and use it as a wireless point or, better, use powerline networking (homeplugs).

Regards,

Felix

snewby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

Felix - Thanks for the response.

Anyone else with any suggestions?

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I don't know how much help this is at the moment, but I remember a firmware that had a repeater mode on the router. I am trying to remember it, but nothing yet, I need it myself, be sure I will post it here when I do.

Basically a repeater is what you needed in this situation. If you can take back the router and try and find a repeater, I am sure Netgear make some and someone here will be able to help you out.

landwomble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161429
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could either flash the routers with the Netgear firmware, which'll let them work via WDS - so one can connect to the other over wifi and extend the range - this is quite hard.

Or, you can run a network cable from the LAN port of your current internet 1st router into a LAN port on your non-internet-connected 2nd router. Log into 2nd router and turn off DHCP. you can then connect wirelessly to the 2nd router and connect out to the internet.
      For extra convenience, you could buy a pair of comtrend powerline networking plugs (a pair on ebay's about 35 quid) and use these to connect the two routers without the difficulty of running a physical cable between them.

You might want to set the wireless SSID and password to the same on the two routers so you can easily flit between them.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you are going to buy a couple of homeplugs you may as well get one with a wifi extender built in, then you wont need to connect the second router and all the hassle that can cause.