Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wg111?

This is a discussion on Wg111? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; For the past few months I've used an ethernet cable to my pc, but fancy going wireless, so I rang ...

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wg111?

For the past few months I've used an ethernet cable to my pc, but fancy going wireless, so I rang sky up to get a USB adaptor and they've sent the WG111 54 mbps, but my router is the DG834GT which does 108 mbps.

I know you can get a USB adaptor that does 108 mbps, but the 54mbps is the only one Sky do.

As my router's down stairs and my pc's upstairs, do you think this 54 mbps adaptor will do or would the 108mbps be better?

I'm running XP home ed by the way and have just checked my usb ports-they're from two back bays wired directly into the motherboard.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Wg111?

You'r taking a step backwards by going from network cable to wireless, if you get it to work you may be disapointed at the download speeds. A much better way would be to use homeplugs, which use your mains plugs instead of a seperate cable. The usb adaptor sky have sent should work o.k

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Wg111?

thanks for your reply Brian69.

I did actually buy two of these homeplugs but couldn't work it out at all at pc end, plus they were a dear way to connect at nearly 80 (maplins) so they went straight back.

To be honest I'm surprised at what you've said about going backwards regarding network cable to wireless-or is this just the speed you're talking about? I realise the download speed would diminish quite a bit, thats why with the router being 108mbps, I didn't think the Sky adapter at 54mbps would be sufficient.

my other half says just to leave it but the grey cable looks so ugly.