Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

5 students, 2 vista laptops, 3 xp, never 5 connections

This is a discussion on 5 students, 2 vista laptops, 3 xp, never 5 connections within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; we have had sky broadband for a week now and i am seriously regretting the decision to go with sky. ...

gaz89 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

5 students, 2 vista laptops, 3 xp, never 5 connections

we have had sky broadband for a week now and i am seriously regretting the decision to go with sky. we got the sky+ and broadband deal and throughout the whole process of moving in we have been seriously messed around by sky. sky boxes turning up late with poor excuses, a late connection to the net and now they have given us a shoddy wireless router.

i am no computer genius and nor do i have the time to become one! basically from playing around with the addresses and the connections from the help package they provide you with, i have come to the conclusion that the router sky have provided us with is set up to work with new the new vista computers or the xp computers... but not both.

initially the vista computers connected fine (it is my flatmates laptop i'm using here), the xp computers didnt. using the ethernet cable all of the computers can connect fine so it is the wireless that is the problem. i changed the addresses and what not and switched the connection to a WEP one (???). this managed to make to xp laptops work but it was exactly that moment that the vista ones failed!

as you can tell i have given it a good go without really knowing what i am doing or what i am talking about but i have admitted defeat and need some help!! please offer your advice. at that start of the accademic year we really really need to get this sorted!!

thankyou
      gaz

2. Advertisement
      blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: 5 students, 2 vista laptops, 3 xp, never 5 connections

first suggestion would be to connect some via ethernet and some via wifi, to be honest you shouldnt have any problems, ive used a mixture of machines using linux osx and xp and not had issues.

I have to admire your courage for wanting to share a 2mb connection amongst 5 machines, especially if one of your house mates decides to do a spot of torrenting...Id consider all putting in 1 a month each and at least going up to the (possible) 8mb package
      Last edited by blondejon; 10-10-08 at 06:35 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Well unless you told the vista machines the new network key they won't connect now the router is not in WPA-PSK encryption.
      What is the current setting on the router, can all pcs that need to connect wirelessly to it see the Sky SSID number and which PCs have been given the new network key so far?

gaz89 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Thanks

thanks for the help people.

nope, as much as we are students we could afford a 16 mb connection!

anyways... are you saying that the vista machines can be changed to use this older WEP thing that sky are saying we should use for the older xp laptops?

sorry for the poor computer language*(!)

jemmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

you could use WPA-PSK or WEP either on both XP and Vista. I have WPA-PSk on XP which is more secure, with the SKy router and no problems.
      Try keeping one of the 5 comps with the ethernet connection and rest on wireless. Changes your network key to a new one and may be change the SSID as well then feed the new details to each machine and should work. You might need to temporarily switch off firewall on each machine before you do this to make sure that is not blocking the connection. Let me know how it went?

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaz89 View Post
      thanks for the help people.

nope, as much as we are students we could afford a 16 mb connection!

anyways... are you saying that the vista machines can be changed to use this older WEP thing that sky are saying we should use for the older xp laptops?

sorry for the poor computer language*(!)
      well ok but your profile says base which is 2mb....

yes that is the case, but as suggested try having at least one machine connected via ethernet, there is no reason why both xp and vista machines cannot connect using the same levels of security UNLESS the xp machines are very very old (or using older adapters) which only support WEP. If you are unsure I suggest kidnapping a nerd from the computer society and holding them hostage until they set it up for you ;-)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Good point about older XP laptops with WiFi adaptors that are only WEP enabled.

If they are only WEP they may also only be 802.11b speed rather than the newer 802.11g speed and could be making the Sky router default to 802.11b - which would be OK provided the newer Vista WiFi adaptors aren't set to only receive 802.11g.

The answer is to make all the adaptors capable of 802.11 b and g speeds (or only 802.11b if they predate the g setting).

My Vista laptop was set to be '802.11g only' by default so wouldn't connect to a router that was forced to the 802.11b state by a slower adaptor on another older XP machine.

I think I'm right in saying you can have 32 simultaneous WiFi connections to an 802.11b/g router.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think you are on the right track. If you have wireless problems start by connecting everything by wire. If that works on every computer, move on to wireless with the router's encryption turned off.

If some of the computers won't connect, check the router's wireless mode is set to b+g.
      If you have problem see if there is an option to set the router's wireless mode to b only.

You may find that some of the computers still drop out because although the router claims to support b it may have problems with certain older models of wireless adapter.

Solution is to hard wire the old 11b equipped computers or add new 11g wireless adapters to them.

If possible avoid using WEP as it is harder to set up and less secure than WPA -- but if that's all that works.....