Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless network setup - through 240v adapters - help

This is a discussion on wireless network setup - through 240v adapters - help within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, Its got the extent that Im sick of sky in general its taken 4 weeks just to get ...

sitback is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01753
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy wireless network setup - through 240v adapters - help

Hi there,
      Its got the extent that Im sick of sky in general its taken 4 weeks just to get calls back, and for my internet light to start appearing on my modem. Because the computer is kept upstairs and not possible for re-cabling of another cable, I went out and bought a wireless card/adapter so I could leave my modem next to the main bt phone socket and one adapter upstairs.

The product I bought is made by Devolo – dLAN duo starter kit which cost me around £60.00, the guy at pc world swore it would take just minutes but I know that’s not the case really lol.

dLAN duo

(link above to product)

So I installed everything as usual, checked all the connection and of course the internet light, until it came to me computer which was not picking up wireless network, I tried setting up new connections, running through all sky help guides and making sure all ip address function where on automatic and so fourth. Still to no avail.

Now I installed the Devolo user cd, and tried to set up password on the network cos it has a little programme which lets your network become more safe. The reason why I done this was so that I could see whether it was picking up any connection/adapter and surprise it wasn’t. The adapter to my pc was connected through a USB port on front and I also tried one of the two in the front!

Does any one else have any solutions to this, as sky broadband and getting it running is working out so expensive and time consuming Im actually thinking of going back to BT broadband or something because as it happens since the last two weeks Ive spent more money getting 3G mobile broadband – Nightmare. If it helps got a Netgear modem (black one) DG934G.

Cheers.
      Thanks a lot.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless network setup - through 240v adapters - help

Have you tried connecting to the adapter via ethernet rather than USB? I would of thought connecting via USB would need some sort of drivers installed and working correctly, whereas a standard ethernet connection should work straight from windows.

sitback is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01753
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: wireless network setup - through 240v adapters - help

Hi
      Tried it through ethernet and it worked for a split second then went down.
      Again when on the bloody phone to a sky advisor and run many tests, turns out my modems is bust and a new one will be sent out, should of been here friday still waiting.

The guy on the phone was a pleasure to deal with, however the whole experience with sky has just put me off. He was explaining to me the modems get thrown around by couriers etc and some of them get internally damaged, he swore that when a new one comes it should be as good as gold.

Anyone else had this problem?
      Cheers.