Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless connection

This is a discussion on Wireless connection within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I need to get a computer to be able to connect to the router from sky, as its an adsl ...

DC_FC79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless connection

I need to get a computer to be able to connect to the router from sky, as its an adsl router do i need to buy an adsl router or could i buy any router. The routers in a different room to where the computer is.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless connection

Do you mean you need a wireless adapter, I take it you already have a computer. If so, you need something like This They are easy to use provided you follow the installation instructions carefully. Depending on your house you may not get very good reception, if it is an old house with solid walls you would be better opting for a Homeplug network system.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Do you mean you need a wireless adapter, I take it you already have a computer. If so, you need something like This They are easy to use provided you follow the installation instructions carefully. Depending on your house you may not get very good reception, if it is an old house with solid walls you would be better opting for a Homeplug network system.
      yes i have the computer, i just need an adapter or a router so the computer can access the internet,

Thanks

You don't need a router, Sky supply one. Follow the links in red in my last post for an adapter and other recommendations.

What is the make and model number of your PC and how far is it from the phone master socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You don't need a router, Sky supply one. Follow the links in red in my last post for an adapter and other recommendations.

What is the make and model number of your PC and how far is it from the phone master socket?
      sky have sent the router and its plugged but because the phone point is in the hallway not room to where the computer is i need a usb wireless device or a router to plug into the computer so i can connect to the internet, all i know is that its an emachines pc, the phone master socket is about 1/1.5 metre maybe less than a metre,

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"the phone point is in the hallway not room to where the computer is i need a usb wireless device or a router to plug into the computer so i can connect to the internet...."

I'm assuming you mean to leave the Sky router where it is (a phone extension lead may affect internet speed). So you need to add a wireless adapter to the computer -- Sky will sell you a USB device.

Personally I would buy a PCI version for a desktop or PCMCIA card for a laptop.

However, to set up wireless your best course is initially to connect computer and router via ethernet cable (usually yellow cable in the router carton). There is a tutorial on this site which will guide you thru the process.

Given the short distance involved you may find that you get better speed and reliability merely by using the cable and forgetting wireless.

Thanks

I would advise connecting by ethernet cable if at all possible and you can find a route for it. This can be up to 100 m in length, although you will not need anything like that. Your eMachines PC will have a network adapter to which you connect it.

If you are set on USB wireless, as I said above, this one will do -
      Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter: Electronics & Photo: Amazon.co.uk

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The reason why i think wireless is the best option is because the computer is at my nans (as well as sky router/phone) and having a cable on teh floor isnt a good idea in my opinon due to safety issues, yes it would be easier to use ethernet but i think wireless is better in this instance, theres 1 wall between the computer and the sky router but its an internal so its not that thick so a couple of inches i would think,

i would buy a network card but im not sure if theres a free slot, its not really accesible at the minute for me to check
      Last edited by DC_FC79; 29-09-08 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks

You will have a USB socket on your PC unless it is very old. If you only have 2, which is common on some PCs and need them for printer, keyboard or webcam etc., you will need an USB hub. I would recommend a powered one such as this- 14790 - Trust 4 PORT USB2 POWERED HUB HU-5440 UK IN (14790).

Better still would be a PCI USB card. For this you need a spare PCI slot and the ability to open your PC and insert it. Something like this would be suitable. - Buy a Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Card, #F5U220Vea1 - eXpansys UK

These will also be available at your local PC shop or PC World.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You will have a USB socket on your PC unless it is very old. If you only have 2, which is common on some PCs and need them for printer, keyboard or webcam etc., you will need an USB hub. I would recommend a powered one such as this- 14790 - Trust 4 PORT USB2 POWERED HUB HU-5440 UK IN (14790).

Better still would be a PCI USB card. For this you need a spare PCI slot and the ability to open your PC and insert it. Something like this would be suitable. - Buy a Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Card, #F5U220Vea1 - eXpansys UK

These will also be available at your local PC shop or PC World.
      as far as im aware the keyboard and mouse are of the ps2 kind, decided ill get a pci wireless card
      Last edited by DC_FC79; 29-09-08 at 04:56 PM.