Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

low or no connectivity

This is a discussion on low or no connectivity within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My sky broadband was supposed to go active yesterday, but no text or call. So I plugged the netgear wireless ...

coreservers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dalkeith
      Broadband ISP: IDnet
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

low or no connectivity

My sky broadband was supposed to go active yesterday, but no text or call. So I plugged the netgear wireless router in. all the lights went to green. went to the pc, and it can see the router but is only getting 1 bar of a signal. ok i thought, move the router to the pc, which involved lifting floorboards etc. and putting in a 10m bb extensnion from the main socket microfilter to the router. It's now 3 feet from the pc, and gets 2 bars, but still low or no connectivity. treid getting into teh router via the software but could not get in.
      SSid and wpa are correct?
      really confused as to whether they've actually connected me at all now meant to add, it's a Belkin wirelss card, which functioned absolutely fine with BT. And I upgraded the drivers via a download from my work internet access.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: low or no connectivity

Why don't you connect it via ethernet and do away with wireless, many things including interference from other networks can seriously affect the way it works.

It would have been better to leave the router where it was and run a cat5 cable to the PC instead of an extension lead.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

192.168.0.1, user name admin, password sky. (Do this on ethernet cable) Try changing channels on the router wireless setup.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

the extension, is a high quality, one. I cant run a cat 5e or 6 that far either (wife hates cables everywhere. have hooked a cat 5 from router to pc, but still little or no connectivity, distance to exchange is 2021 meters

I'm beginning to think the work hasn't been done as it was supposed to be done as i've had no notification of it from sky yet, despite it now being a day overdue

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Makes no odds wether it is a 5 extension or a 50 one, it is designed for PSTN.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You do not need to be connected to the internet to access the router setup. If you are unable to do this, even when wired, something is wrong with your setup. You may have to change the channel to improve wireless reception.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I also get limited or no connectivity with it plugged directly into the main socket. whilst runnign a cat5 cable all the way upstairs to the pc (and no I'll not re-arrange the house for this lol). Seems the line is not set-up, and it still on test. looks like I'll just have to wait until sky\bt can be bothered to do the job they were supposed to do yesterday.

It is also a specific adsl extension, with the correct connectors that goes directly from filter to back of router, with no adapters.

I can get into the router, but can get no line stats from it

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Usually when the line is on test you will still be connected to the exchange, albeit at a very low speed. If the light is green it does suggested that it is connected. You could try this - Go into the router settings and click the Connection Status button. Click the Disconnect button, wait 30secs then click the Connect button. If it still fails to connect, click the Sky Test button, see if that helps. If it does not it will give an error code, make a note of that for when you phone Sky. One other thing you can try, is disconnecting the router from the power for 45 minutes, then power it up.

Sky will probably tell you you have to wait for 3 days, before they can do anything. This period is not often needed, but it gives them a buffer should anything go wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

got in finally, the bt engineer who happens to be my next door neighbour, told me sky didn't give him job details till just 3pm this afternoon, despite mailing me a week ago with the date.
      these are the initial stats
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7840 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 25 db

is it just me or is attenuation a wee bit high

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

depends how far away you're meant to be from the exchange...try in the test socket and see if it improves as extention leads can add to attenuation some times (seen 1 line go from 63 on an old plug in extention to 4 in the test socket!!!)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast