Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help - totally totally confused!

This is a discussion on help - totally totally confused! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi, please help, I'm going to be buying a laptop soon specifically to be able to use it wirelessly. So, ...

mmtdevlin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

help - totally totally confused!

hi, please help, I'm going to be buying a laptop soon specifically to be able to use it wirelessly. So, I brought home a laptop from school to test whether it would pick up my router or not and it did - but it came up with the old chestnut of 'acquiring network id' - phoned sky and finally got through to Tier 3 who told me it was most likely the firewall built into my schools laptop which wouldn't let me access the internet wirelessly on the laptop (couldn't even get on via the ethernet cable either, so I guess they must be right).

Anyway long story short, she got me to log into the router and change one of the settings to WEP and got me to enter a random passphrase which would generate a key (most numerals with one letter in it). So, she asked me to write this new key down.

Anway, now I've can't remember - do I enter this new numeric key as my network key and not the one that's on the side of the box?

There are two types of WEP encryptions 64Bit and 128Bit for obvious reason
      128Bit is far more secure, all you need to do to use this form of security is enter a
      Passphrase: and Generate the Keys. Some Adaptors will allow you to use the
      same Passphrase that you have put in the router but you may find some will not
      and you will need to use one of the Keys, to use the Keys just copy and paste one
      from the list and put it on a Pen Drive or Floppy if these options are not
      available to you then just write one of them down but remember which Key it
      was you picked ie: Key1, Key2 etc and put it into your Wireless connections set-
      up. **

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: help - totally totally confused!

If the firewall is stopping you it will not matter what you put in for security. It will not connect.

I am thinking your laptop may have been set up with by your school IT bod with a fixed address, this will stop both ethernet and wireless dead. Have a look in the Network connections, right click the LAN icon and select properties. Highlight 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and check if it is set with a manual address. If it is set up with addresses, take a note of them so you can put them back and tick the 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. Ok out and try to connect. It would be better doing this on ethernet first. You will need Admin privileges to make the changes stick.

If you turn off the Security in the router you should be able to connect without a password.

If your firewall is stopping you, you will have to allow it access to your network before it will connect. How you do this depends on your firewall maker. Disabling it does not always work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mmtdevlin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: help - totally totally confused!

hi, yes, thanks, your right, the IT guys in school have optimised the laptop for school use and I don't even have access to network connnections in the control panel.

What I will do is disable the security in the router so the password/network key problem (hopefully) won't be an issue - thanks again!