Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Rangemax WPN824 v2 Setup

This is a discussion on Rangemax WPN824 v2 Setup within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I recently purchased Sky Broadband but the standard router they sent me was not quite good enough in terms of ...

mattm874 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Rangemax WPN824 v2 Setup

I recently purchased Sky Broadband but the standard router they sent me was not quite good enough in terms of range. I have been out and brought a RangeMax Router but have no idea where to begin setting it up or in fact setting it up at all. Could someone please explain how this is done. Could someone also let me know what type of cable should run from the telephone socket into the back of the router. The reason I ask is that the one that initially came from my Sky router almost looks to small for all the sockets on the back of the rangemax router.

I would appreciate it hugely.

Many Thanks

Matt
      Last edited by mattm874; 10-09-08 at 12:09 AM.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Rangemax WPN824 v2 Setup

If the all the sockets on the WPN824 are the same type (ethernet) and there is no phone-type socket this confirms what a quick glance at the Netgear site suggests to me -- that you need to return it to the retailer because what you meant to buy was an ADSL wireless modem/router.

The confusion arises because no-one ever call it that -- just "router" which is actually a much simpler device.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Sky's routers -- have you tried the usual tricks of raising the router above furniture levels, changing channels, swivelling the router, moving the computer or wireless antenna etc ?

But if you need to upgrade to one with better range, you'll first have to see the Tutorials here on extracting the embedded user name and password from the Sky router.
      Then you have to set the new modem/router to work with Sky. It's a bit of a process and I wouldn't recommend it for novices.

The alternative is to connect the WPN to the Sky router by ethernet cable and just use the WPN as a wireless unit (Access Point). But that's another story. See how you've followed it so far.
      Last edited by fihart; 10-09-08 at 09:45 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As already mentioned, what you have is a Router as opposed to a Modem/Router. The WPN indicates this, all of Netgears modem Routers start DG. You can use this or take it back and get something like THIS I should add if you use it you will not be breaking Sky's T&Cs, if you completely replace the sky router by buying a DG model, you will be.

If you want to use it follow these instructions.
      Enter the primary router LAN settings and change the last figure in DHCP server to 253 from 254

Enter the settings of the secondary router using the routers default address, which will depend on its make. (In your case 192.168.1.1)

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router (255.255.255.0) with an address of 192.168.0.254. ie Change the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.254.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section with the same settings the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. Remember it must be connected by an Ethernet cable which can be up to 100m long. If one of the ports is marked 'Uplink' use this.

Remember if you think you have made a mistake, everything can be returned to default by pushing a biro point into the little hole at the back of both routers.

If you have followed this correctly, you should be able to enter the Primary routers settings and in the Attached Devices section, you should see that the Secondary router is shown with the 254 address and any PC attached to it should be shown with a different address. You should also be able to see the Secondary routers settings by typing http://192.168.0.254/ in the address bar of any PC attached to the network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

merlin27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01704
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I've been trying this (with a WPN824 - not v2), but can't get it to work properly.
      I've restricted the Sky (834GT) DNS range (to max of 99), set the WPN824 to something above 99 and disabled DHCP on it, but.....
      1. I can only get it to work without any encryption switched on (undesirable)
      2. I can't access the user interface on the WPN824 from anywhere on the network - I just get an unable to connect message. The only way is to reset it and start from scratch again.
      3. If I try to set up WPA on the WPN824, and then try to connect from one of the wireless PCs, it behaves as if the password's wrong (connects for a couple of seconds, then drops). And I still can't access the user interface
      What am I doing wrong - or might I have bought a dud?

Thanks

If you follow the instructions above exactly it should work. The fact that you are unable to access the 2nd router from any PC means you are doing something wrong. Reset your Sky router and start again using the above instructions. Remember to put it in the same subnet ie, 255.255.255.0

You may have wireless problems if you do not disable the Wireless AP in the Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

merlin27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01704
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Smile Re: Rangemax WPN824 v2 Setup

I've sorted it now - once I've changed the 824's IP I needed to reconnect my PC to the network (I suppose the 824 allocates a duff IP to it when plugged in (i.e. before re-configuring it) and this needs to be overwritten with a "good" one.

I still don't really understand what's going on! Why, if its IP has been fixed, can't it be seen when plugged in elsewhere on the network?

Anyway, what worked for me was this:

1. Set 834GT (assuming default IP 192.168.0.1) to allocate IPs in the range 192.168.0.2 to something like 192.168.0.100 - save new settings
      2. Disconnect a wired PC from the network
      3. Connect the WPN824 to this PC via ethernet cable
      4. Access the web interface (you need to click on "Advanced" to bypass the Configuration Assistant) , select LAN IP Setup and change IP address to 192.168.0.250 (say - the last number needs to be outside the range used by the DHCP server in the 834GT).
      5. Uncheck "Use router as DHCP server"
      6. Click "Apply"
      7. Remove ethernet cable from PC and reconnect network cable (this will ensure its IP address is reallocated on the LAN, I guess - it was a necessary step for me)
      8. Check all is OK by reconnecting the 824 to the PC's LAN port and plugging the LAN cable into another of the 824's LAN ports. You should be able to access the 824's web interface at 192.168.0.250 (or whatever you used), and it should appear as an Attached Device if you access the 834GT's interface.
      9. Connect 824 to 834GT via ethernet (mine's via an ethernet switch upstairs - the 834GT is downstairs)
      10. Reconnect PC to network and you should be able to Access the web interface of the 824 and set up security etc.

Thanks

Glad you have got it working. I'm sorry but I originally wrote this for a user who had no experience and he was connecting another modem router to the Sky one, hence the instructions to use specific addresses, I just copied it to this post. If you have got it to work with different addresses, good and well.
      I also missed a bit out of the above when I copied it as it as this thread was referring to connecting a router, not a modem router. Unfortunately it included some relevant instructions, this was - 'Leave the WAN port unconnected!!! This process is easier carried out by having the 2nd router in the position you want to use it and connected to the PC you want to use. After connecting the Ethernet cable to the Sky router, reboot everything to allow new addresses to be allocated. Remember to save all changes as you make them'

Once again, glad you're fixed.

TomD

Useful Utilites