Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow Wireless Connection via HomePlug

This is a discussion on Slow Wireless Connection via HomePlug within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi We got Sky a few months ago now and my wireless connection has been fine, not great (the computer ...

clearcoat227 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow Wireless Connection via HomePlug

Hi

We got Sky a few months ago now and my wireless connection has been fine, not great (the computer upstairs which is directly connected to the router gets the best speed, which is understandable considering speeds are slower with wireless), but just a few days back my wireless connection has gone to the dogs. I have no idea why, either. We are using the homeplug system with the first homeplug directly connected to the Sagem F@st (yeah right) router and the second one below connected to my PC from which I'm typing this. The wireless connection light on the sagem is yellow as well, it never has been green, even when I was getting good download speeds down here.

There has been no change in the main computer (the one directly connected to the router)'s browsing/downloading speed (lightning fast!), just mine down here. I can only download at varying speeds from 14kb to 200kb, although it is usually 14kb! Internet browsing is also flaky with me having to constantly refresh a page in order to view it correctly.

Finally, I have tried changing channels on the router and also tried running the tcp optimizer program, to little avail. I have also scanned for various adware, malware etc and found nothing on here.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow Wireless Connection via HomePlug

How are you actually connected with the Homeplug, do you have something like This If so the problem will be with the plug sender as you are not really using the router's wireless. Can you connect to it by ethernet cable?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Our Homeplug looks exactly like this only without the "turbo" writing on it.

http://www.more-shop.co.uk/images/me...meplug_MED.png

As far as I am aware, my computer is plugged into the homeplug with a grey ethernet cable.

Thanks

Then you are not connecting by wireless If you are not using the wireless on the router, just turn off the Access point in the router, that is the best way to keep it secure.

Your problem may be something to do with your electrical wiring, have you added any new electrical components like dryers or washing machines. Are you using the Homeplug in an extension? Some do not perform very well when used like this.
      Try pinging the router from the PC attached to the Homeplug. Just open a Command Prompt, type ping 192.168.0.1 and press Enter. See what the results are.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So I pinged the other computer upstairs...

Ping Stats for 192.168.0.1

Packets Sent= 4
      Received= 3
      Lost= 1

Approx Round Trip Times in seconds
      Min= 2ms Max= 14ms Average= 6ms
      I've turned the Wireless off but I don't know if any new appliances have been fitted, I doubt it much. The only thing I could think of is that there's a dehumidifier upstairs but I've tried switching that off at the mains to no avail. The router is situated in the loft of the house.

I'd also like to point out that the #2 light on the router is orange- I wrote earlier that the wireless light was orange, which was an error on my part.
      Last edited by clearcoat227; 09-09-08 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks

With ping times like that, something is wrong with your wiring, or something is causing interference. You should not loose packets and the average time should be about 1 ms. In fact the actual time should be under 1 ms, but this cannot be shown by the test.

Is it possible to try the homeplug in a different socket? I don't honestly know if it would make any difference, but you could try swapping the homeplug units around. ie use the one you are using as the sender as the receiver and vice-versa. Use the ping test each time you try something different.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Most curious. I tried swapping the homeplug units around after gaining a better ping from moving plug sockets. However, I found that my download speeds were still appalling. I went upstairs to check the homeplug unit and to swap them.

Incidentally, the ping was down to 2ms and no packet losses at all.

I found that the casing on one of the units was basically coming off and now it makes a strange noise when I plug it in. (Dangerous, but I had to try). I suppose I'll have to buy a new set of homeplug adapters?

Thanks

Glad you are getting somewhere It is one of the criticisms I have read about some Homeplugs, that they are a bit flimsy and will not stand much abuse. I did think at the time that, who would want to abuse them, but your experience may indicate that all it needs is normal use. How long have you been using them? If they are under a year old and by a reputable manufacturer, you might get a free exchange.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

We've had them ages, well over a year now. I've ordered a new set and I will be moving the upstairs one so it's out of harm's way. I am just hoping that this is the reason for the slow internet downstairs. I'm writing this upstairs and it's running like a dream....I wish it was this fast downstairs!!!

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If you have bought the same make of HomePlug all should be well. However it's possible you may have a problem if you mix makes. HomePlugs use basic encryption and most manufacturers use their Trade Name as the encryption key. So you may need to change that on one of the units so they can talk to each other. It's explained in the manual that comes with the HomePlugs.

You should get good Internet speeds with your new HomePlugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast