Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems Connecting using Realtek 8187 wifi

This is a discussion on Problems Connecting using Realtek 8187 wifi within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, recently joined sky and base broadband. I am having trouble connecting to the Netgear DG934G router using my Shuttle ...

howy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problems Connecting using Realtek 8187 wifi

Hi,
      recently joined sky and base broadband. I am having trouble connecting to the Netgear DG934G router using my Shuttle SG33G6 PC running Vista Home Premium which has a built in Realtek 8187 USB wifi. When I enter the Network key it won't connect. Yet other computers can connect to the router via wireless and I can get the shuttle to connect to another unsecured network.

SKY support who weren't much use said its probably because my PC wifi is not using WPA PSK (which the router does). Not sure this is the case but don't know how to check anyway.

Just wondering if anyone else has managed to use the Realtek wifi to connect to SKY any help appreciated.

PS I can connect to the router OK using the built in PC LAN port but want to be able to use the wifi
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problems Connecting using Realtek 8187 wifi

Suggest you check by connecting via lan port and turn off wireless security in the router temporarily (for how see help files on CD which came with router or look at tutorials on this site).

There may be a minor incompatibility between the chipsets in the router and wireless adapter.

If using Vista, make sure you have latest driver for adapter (preferably from maker's site not MS). Also terminology in Vista may be confusing as it varies from that used currently by most network gear manufacturers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

New drivers were released for this chip just last month. Make sure you get the proper version L or B. If Vista has installed drives, uninstall them and use the manufacturers.

I think WPA PSK in Vista is called WPA Personal. Trust MS to be confusing.

There is another thing that may help, you could have a look at this MS article.-
      Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howy View Post
      Hi,
      recently joined sky and base broadband. I am having trouble connecting to the Netgear DG934G router using my Shuttle SG33G6 PC running Vista Home Premium which has a built in Realtek 8187 USB wifi. When I enter the Network key it won't connect. Yet other computers can connect to the router via wireless and I can get the shuttle to connect to another unsecured network.

SKY support who weren't much use said its probably because my PC wifi is not using WPA PSK (which the router does). Not sure this is the case but don't know how to check anyway.

Just wondering if anyone else has managed to use the Realtek wifi to connect to SKY any help appreciated.

PS I can connect to the router OK using the built in PC LAN port but want to be able to use the wifi
      Thanks
      Finally solved the problem got a reply from shuttle who directed me to the realtek site for a driver for the 8187L. Installed the drivers and the realtek utility but was still having trouble connecting so gave up and decided to try a netgear WG111v3 USB adapter. This didn't work at first but came across some info that mentioned using channel 6. The sky router was configured to use channel 11. I changed the router to channel 6 and hey presto it started working so decided to try altering the channel to 6 on the realtek utility and suprise suprise it worked tried it on a couple of other channels too and they worked. What a pain, its a pity this wasn't mentioned on any SKY or Realtek info.
      Last edited by howy; 28-08-08 at 10:11 PM. Reason: correction

Thanks

Probably a bit of our fault too, advising about changing the channel is usually one of the first trouble-shooting steps, for some reason, this time we missed it. I think updating the drivers probably helped.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Probably a bit of our fault too, advising about changing the channel is usually one of the first trouble-shooting steps, for some reason, this time we missed it. I think updating the drivers probably helped.
      My pleasure was short lived it seems to have stopped connecting again with the realtek. Its working ok with the netgear adapter on Ch6.

Not sure whether to give up on the realtek completely or try every channel to see if any make a difference in terms of reliability. What I can't understand is why it should make a difference when clearly there appears to be enough signal strength

Thanks

Unfortunately signal strength is not as important as signal quality. A rough comparison might be a low quality hifi pumping out a lot of loud, almost unintelligible noise and a high quality one producing beautiful music at a much lower volume. One thing to bear in mind is that the Netgear adapter will be fully compatible with your router, so is able to perform well. The Realtek adapter may be making allowances, if that is the way to put it, which reduce it's effectiveness.

TomD

Useful Utilites