Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless no longer working

This is a discussion on Wireless no longer working within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello. A friend has had a sky netgear wireless router for about 12 - 18 months and has started having ...

placks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Wireless no longer working

Hello.

A friend has had a sky netgear wireless router for about 12 - 18 months and has started having issues connecting their laptops via wireless connection.

They have 2 laptops and both have worked in the past but neither do now. Both have a built in wireless card.

The router is connected to their desktop via ethernet and this still connects to the internet fine.

When trying either of the laptops it finds the wireless network in the list and then when you go through the motions of trying to connect, entering the WEP password etc it tries to connect for a few seconds then it fails with an error about being unable to connect to the wireless network at this time...

They have asked me to go over and have a look at it and but before i do i was after some advice as to what to check / try first with the router.

(Im gonna take my laptop over which works fine on my wireless network and see if i can connect to theirs etc)

Grateful for any help

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Wireless no longer working

Hi
      I don't know whether this will have any bearing on your friend's computers but in the last few days I have reinstalled 4 Win XP computers. Microsoft Updates, now, have all been combined (mostly) into service pack 3. When getting MS updates sp3 is what is downloaded.

In each case, relating to the PCs I reinstalled, the wireless networks have not worked after sp3 has been installed. Everything worked fine if I took my security off my router though. I still have no idea why the security has "apparently" changed but my solution was to delete the wireless profile and set it all up again on the computers.

I was using a Netgear WG111v2 USB dongle on 3 of the computers but one was a laptop with some nondescript wireless utility installed. having said that I dont use the wireless utilities supplied with the wireless cards/dongles I always use Windows zero wireless configeration.

Hope that info is of some use and if anyone else has had any experiences of wireless not working after sp3 installation and any theories I would be very interested.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have found that SP3 had some other unwanted side effects on our network.

Back in march I set up 2 IP cams at work which we monitor via IE as well as motion detection and ftp'ing the pics to the storage server in the comms room. But after SP3 I found that we cannot log into the cams anymore. At first I thought the cams were broke as I got the same results from every system, but when I tried with my laptop (which I held of on SP3 on for a while) I found that it worked as normal.

It is well worth uninstallaing the Wireless cards (Right click on my computer > select Hardware Tab > Click Device Manager and look under Network Adapters) and then searching for new hardware afterwards.

Often I have found its worth rebooting the system before searching for new hardware just to be on the safe side.

If this doesnt solve the issue, I would reset the Router to factory settings and start from scratch with that.

One thing to keep in mind though is to see if they have SP3 and where possible try a wireless laptop that hasnt got SP3 yet.

Let us know how you get on.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

placks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies,

1 was vista an one was on XP (not SP3 though)

I dont know what was wrong but a reset of the router appears to have done the trick, for now....

Thanks again