Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Broadband has been working fine, until now.

This is a discussion on Broadband has been working fine, until now. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Did you call Sky support? This service is 24/7 you do not need to wait till Monday. Details on how ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Broadband has been working fine, until now.

Did you call Sky support? This service is 24/7 you do not need to wait till Monday.

Details on how to access your Test socket, if you have one, are contained in this thread -
      Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to test your Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jiggerjay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only reason i am waiting till tomorrow is to give it time to right itself out, just incase its an exchange thing.

I have found the master socket, however its the other side of the house, and my cable is not long enough.

Thanks

I have found the master socket, however its the other side of the house, and my cable is not long enough.
      That is unfortunate. The only way to know definitely that it is an external line fault is to test from the Test socket. A very high proportion of problems like this are down to internal wiring. Even if you think nothing has changed, over time, faults do develop.

Finding out if you are on DLM should be a short call, if you are they will do nothing until the test has run. Looking again at your stats, I think DLM is unlikely as when it is running a reduction in speed shows a corresponding increase in the noise margin, which yours is not.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I just tried ringing sky, but i had to hang up after 20 minutes of being on hold becuase the dogs want to go out, however i noticed, on both the phones in the house, there is a distinct crackle on the line, sometimes in unnoticable, times its quite loud, this is new, it may have been there when the broadband started playing up, no-one apart from my dad used the phone this week, and he is not renown for hearing!

i will test the phone in the master socket in a bit and see what happens.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

When you test the phone make sure you only have the phone plugged into the line and if you have one use the test socket. (Keeping a cheap corded phone about is ideal for this situation)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i just tested it with the spare phone and its still crackling, i will try and ring sky again in a minute i guess!

if they send someone round to fix the line do i pay for that or is it included in my 40 a month package?

Thanks

If you are paying phone rental to BT, then they are responsible for fixing the line. If you are paying rental to Sky or another provider then they are responsible. Remember you must test from the TEST socket, if you have one. Check here for details-
      Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to test your Master Socket

If you do not have an NTE-5, use the master socket, but unplug everything you have plugged into the extension sockets.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i just called bt from my mobile as the static on the landline is quite a lot now, and they are sending an engeneer out on weds to look at the line,

thanks very much for all the help guys, i am gonna go and double check the master socket in a bit so i dont get caught with a stupid call out fine!

Thanks

With a bit of luck you may be able to get the engineer to fit an NTE-5, if you ask him nicely and fill him up with tea/coffee/biscuits

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12