Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless just wont work!

This is a discussion on Wireless just wont work! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, Had tons of problems with my net recently and sky have sent us a new sagem routor to ...

simps100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless just wont work!

Hi All,

Had tons of problems with my net recently and sky have sent us a new sagem routor to try and fix the problem, but now i cant make a wireles conection work! On the laptop in question, i can find the the network, able to type in the key and it starts to conect, it stays on "Acquiring Network Address" for ages and then eventualy stops and i get "Limited or No conectivity" error and get no internet acces.

The steps i have tried to fix are:

Power cycle the router

Chenge the WPA security key

Disable windows firewall

Disable router security (to try make it connect atleast!)

Change to various different channels.

But now i have no idea what to try next! Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Marc

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless just wont work!

Disable router security (to try make it connect atleast!)
      Did it connect?

It is unlikely, but a recent problem like yours was solved by checking that the correct SSID was being used. For some reason it had changed. Check in your router settings that it is correct.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simps100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did it connect?

It is unlikely, but a recent problem like yours was solved by checking that the correct SSID was being used. For some reason it had changed. Check in your router settings that it is correct.
      Sorry no it didnt connect with no security either, exactly the same problem. And i have checked the SSID and thats all fine.

shaunybhoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simps100 View Post
      Sorry no it didnt connect with no security either, exactly the same problem. And i have checked the SSID and thats all fine.

Best thing i find is change the SSID name on the wireless settings hit apply , go back to your wireless connections tab refresh the list see if the new network name is there, connect it as normal as you changed the ssid it will prompt you for the network key " if the security is back on" see what happens ...

Goes without saying if its all good after this get the security back on asap :-)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try giving the laptop a fixed address, just in case it is a DHCP server problem. Go into the LAN properties, how depends on your OS, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) V4 if you are using Vista and untick the V6 entry, click the properties button and select Use this IP address. Enter-

You can leave the DNS servers empty at his stage or use the OpenDNS servers which many find better than Sky's. These are-

If it does not connect, reboot the PC.

If that does not work, you could try WinSockFix to fix any corruption in the Registry. Make sure you use the Registry backup facility, although this utility is 100% safe in itself, other things can go wrong

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If WinSockFX doesnt work, you could also try reinstalling the wireless drivers on your laptop just to make sure.

Perhaps take it round to a friends or family members house and see if it connects? To a local pub offering free wireless (or McDonalds) etc.

This would rule out router or wireless adapter problems.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)