Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Destroying 'dongles'!

This is a discussion on Destroying 'dongles'! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Had Sky max with the old white netgear router and a dongle in the back of my pc. Master socket ...

mister2dogs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Destroying 'dongles'!

Had Sky max with the old white netgear router and a dongle in the back of my pc. Master socket upstairs so router signal through landing and along hall into dining room - approx 20ft. Signal was poor - never better than 60% when scanning for networks but on the whole ok for general surfing. Occassional drop-outs but all cleared by a reset.
      About two weeks ago my modem died. Sky sent out a new one - the black Netgear one. I coonected it all up and bingo - internet access for half an hour. I left the pc on and went out - came back - no internet connection. Tried resets, all sockets tested, reapplying networks etc. Nothing. Rang Sky. They said the light on the dongle should always be on when you're online and as mine was flickering then obviously mine was broken. Explained that my modem had just been replaced and they said it was just unlucky timing. They sent me a new dongle. However after being connected for about half an hour then leaving the computer it disconnected again as before. I persevered and got a connection for about 5 mins by reset, reapplying etc. before that too stopped. Surely I can't have destroyed two dongles in two weeks or is there some problem with the new router? As it is I'm now lying on the landing typing this - bloody uncomfortable at 51. Can anyone help me reconnect wirelessly? If I ring sky I end up carrying all my Pc back downstairs, reassemble it, go through all the silly 'have you plugged it in questions' only to be told its a faulty dongle then carry the whole lot back upstairs and connect with the ethernet cable just to get online!

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Destroying 'dongles'!

It may well be that you are suffering from interference, try a different radio channel. You will need to log into your router to do this.
      BTW, The light on the wireless adaptor will flicker, it indicates that data is being received, and as such is perfectly normal.
      You would be far better off with a wired connection, either put via telephone extension in, or buy a long Ethernet cable and use that.

A guide to extension wiring is here:
      DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried connecting with the dongle when you are set up down stairs with the PC close to the router? This might establish if it is a router or dongle fault. Also try turning the router when it is stood on end. The aerial is in the top or bottom and does not work too well when lying flat unless you are immediately above/below it.

It would also do no harm to temporary turn off the router security, in case this is blocking the connection.

Netstumbler, (link below) is a useful utility for finding networks. You may be being overwhelmed by a nearby router.

I have to agree with Penrhyn, wireless broadband is a good selling point, but in practise it very often gives nothing but headaches.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mister2dogs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maybe it would be worth trying one of these Fast Ethernet Bridge Adapter things from Amazon that plug into your mains rather than a really long unsightly ethernet cable?
      Anyone used/using these?

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Make sure it's not a power issue, some USB devices "die" when the PC goes into standby or hibernates (yeuch, switch that off for a start)
      Try disabling Power Management for each USB root hub. Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager - On each of the Root Hub Properties screens select the Power Management tab and uncheck the "Allow The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power" box. Click OK.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Anyone used/using these?
      There are quite a few on the forum using Homeplug adapters, mostly successfully, but a few report problems. It much depends on your home wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Thanks

So are these usb dongle's not worth having then?

I was going to get the Sky one as I'm using a long ethernet cable from downstairs router to upstairs pc and have absolutely no problems at all BUT am sick of the unsightly grey cable. Hubby says just to leave it, but I'm not sure which way to go on this one. I'd hate to spend the money to find it doesn't work and on browsing the threads on here, see there's plenty out there who do have problems with the wireless settings etc.

jemmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Most USB wireless dongles are not very good at providing reliable connections. If you are really keen on connecting wirelessly then best is to install a wireless PCI card in the motherboard. It is a very simple but much more stable process. Use to use it for my PC for a long time before got an extension in the study to connect via Ethernet. Obviously even the best wireless card will be inferior in terms of speed and reliability of connection then a wired one. I only changed for speed issues otherwise connection was stable most of the times

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puretoon View Post
      So are these usb dongle's not worth having then?
      Horses for courses, they work fine for some folk, but not others. I picked up a Netgear adaptor for my daughter's setup where cabling is simply not an option. Before taking it down to her I tried it here. Apart from dragging my PC across the landing and physically showing it the @$%# router, I tried everything with no luck. I did try to be clever and just drop the adaptor off with the woman, but she insisted I set it up. Perfect result, worked first time and word is it's as reliable as a very reliable thing which never lets you down. Go figure.
      Why not buy one from Argos and try it? If it works, great, if not, drag it back under the no quibble money back thingie

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There are quite a few on the forum using Homeplug adapters, mostly successfully, but a few report problems. It much depends on your home wiring.
      I have three and they are superb, one on main PC, one on X-Box and one at the router.

I only need it for internet access so got the 85Mbps ones, aout 60 for all three I think. You can even get ones that have an aerial on to extend you wireless range as well, great if you want to use a lapton in the garden, just plug it in in the back room and presto, a wireless link at the back of the house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast