Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Destroying 'dongles'!

This is a discussion on Destroying 'dongles'! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; from Greyrider Why not buy one from Argos and try it? If it works, great, if not, drag it back ...

puretoon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEGF
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Destroying 'dongles'!

from Greyrider
      Why not buy one from Argos and try it? If it works, great, if not, drag it back under the no quibble money back thingie
      mmmm good idea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Isitme
      There are quite a few on the forum using Homeplug adapters, mostly successfully, but a few report problems. It much depends on your home wiring.

I have three and they are superb, one on main PC, one on X-Box and one at the router.

I only need it for internet access so got the 85Mbps ones, aout 60 for all three I think. You can even get ones that have an aerial on to extend you wireless range as well, great if you want to use a lapton in the garden, just plug it in in the back room and presto, a wireless link at the back of the house

Never gave them a thought! but now you've mentioned it you say they're good then eh? Ive just looked them up online and there's a Devolo that does 85mps? that sounds fast? can you get faster? I think I'm so used to hitting a hot key and wham its there lol

You plug them into your mains roughly where your pc is? looks that way cos they got ethernet cable plugged into them, then into your pc?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puretoon View Post
      You plug them into your mains roughly where your pc is? looks that way cos they got ethernet cable plugged into them, then into your pc?
      Yes, just plug one from the router to the mains and then one anywhere else you need access.

You can get faster, upto 200mbps that people use for video streaming in HD. But bear in ming that even if you connect at the full 16mbps to Sky even the 85mbps ones are more than adequate.

The only problems I have heard of are when people have either very large houses/offices and may have two incoming electricity supplies. It is always better to plug them in driectly to a mains socket and not via an extension although that said, one of mine shares a mains block with the PC/Printer/Speakers and works fine.

Thanks

think if I got one it'll be sharing too Smithy99
      sorry if I've hijacked the thread...ooopss... but thanks for the help and info

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

very large houses/offices and may have two incoming electricity supplies

As you say, but the difficulty also arises when a house or office has a three phase supply, they have difficulty with these. This does not apply to too many houses fortunately.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Our's is a fairly small house over 60 years old I believe, with an ordindary 'loop' curcuit- if that's the right term- so the Homeplug should be ok?
      This is something I can vaguely remember hearing about a while back, but wasn't sure exactly what it was and now seems the best way forward, price allowing that is

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puretoon View Post
      Our's is a fairly small house over 60 years old I believe, with an ordindary 'loop' curcuit- if that's the right term- so the Homeplug should be ok?
      This is something I can vaguely remember hearing about a while back, but wasn't sure exactly what it was and now seems the best way forward, price allowing that is
      I must say they have been superb for me, wife was fed up tripping over the cable. I got mine from e-bay (solwise 85mbps), think I paid around 70 for three of them.

Improved the x-box as well, no more random dropouts, still cannot hit anyone in Halo3

Here's a twin pack on ebay:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Pair-Of-85...6.c0.m14.l1318

Only 34

Here's one with an aerial to extend your wireless range too, great for laptop usere who want to sit in the garden.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/85-Mbps-Networ...6.c0.m14.l1318
      Last edited by Smithy99; 14-08-08 at 08:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12