Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Wireless Network Problem

This is a discussion on Wireless Network Problem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I surprised myself by succesfully setting up a wireless network a couple of months ago - a desktop (running vista ...

Nuck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Putney
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Wireless Network Problem

I surprised myself by succesfully setting up a wireless network a couple of months ago - a desktop (running vista with Mcafee security) attached to the sky router and to a printer and a laptop (also vista and McAfee) which could access the internet through the wireless router and also share files on the desktop and print to the printer.

Then my router burnt out. Luckily (with hindsight - but not what I thought at the time) when I was first set up with sky they made such a hash of the connection at that exchange but rather than fix that they kept sending me new routers so a have a couple of spares.

I put a new one in went through all the set ups on tips site etc and the end result is:

I can access the internet fine on both my desktop and with the laptop wirelessly but not share the printer or files anymore. The main issue seems to be that the lptop can't access the desktop and no amount of hunting through the vista networking centre/diagnostics is getting me a solution.

Amusingly it tells me to contact my network admistrator for help - but that's me - so might as well ask the cat.

Any tips for where I might look for where the problem is - something I haven't ticked/set up in the router / in Mcafee / or in windows itself would b gratfully received.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Re: Wireless Network Problem

If you haven't already, try disabling all firewalls on the computers temporarily. If things then work as planned try re-enabling firewall(s) and see if they accept the connections now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Wireless Network Problem

I am assuming that on both machines in the Network and Discovery Centre under Sharing and Discovery that you have switched everything you need to On. If you have done this, click Start, Printers and right click the Printer you want to share. Click Share and check that the settings are correct.

You might also want to open the Adapters Properties (Network and Sharing>Manage Connections and double click the adapter) and check that File and Printer sharing is selected and also both LLTD options.

You could also try pinging the laptop from the desktop and vice-versa, see if there is a reply. Make sure that it is not in Standby or you will probably not get a reply.

I am surprised that it did not work 'out of the box', the router addresses being the same, nothing really had changed.

If none of the above help, I am inclined to think it may be a MacAfee problem, it seems to be responsible for a lot of problems

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.