Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless works with PC and Wii, why not with laptop?!

This is a discussion on Wireless works with PC and Wii, why not with laptop?! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there I have been running Sky Broadband wirelessly for several months now with no problems. I also run my ...

Skabnoze is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless works with PC and Wii, why not with laptop?!

Hi there

I have been running Sky Broadband wirelessly for several months now with no problems. I also run my Wii off the same connection. However, I have now tried connecting my work laptop at home and am not having much luck. It says the Signal Strength is Excellent, and the Status is Connected, so theoretically everything should be fine. But when I try connecting it comes up with the usual annoying white error page. I've noticed also that when trying to connect it says at the bottom it's connecting to a bunch of numbers rather than the URL address, in case that's relevant. As far as I can see all the wireless and network settings for both PC and laptop are identical. I can't understand why it would work with the PC (on which I am typing this post now) and the Wii, but not the laptop. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Jon

EDIT: Not sure if the information in my little user box is accurate: I don't know what router I actually have, all I know is it's Netgear and it's black! Also can't actually remember which Sky Broadband package I'm actually on, though I'm pretty sure it's "Base".

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless works with PC and Wii, why not with laptop?!

Did you set it up yourself for use at your workplace or was it done by your IT man? If it was the former, it is probably set up to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. If it was the latter, then it may have been given a fixed IP, which will not work with your Sky router.

Open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all This will show the IPs it is using. If you are not sure how to proceed from there, copy and paste the CP result here and also mention your OS.

Can you try connecting with the yellow cable?

If your router is black/grey it will be a V2 Netgear DG934, the 834 is white.

You can find out what package you are on by logging in to MySky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

EDIT: Just because I'm paranoid, I have removed all the technical info about my laptop now the problem is solved!
      Last edited by Skabnoze; 27-07-08 at 01:04 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Does it ever ask you for a network key when on wireless?
      If you go into control panel, network connections adn right click on your wireless device icon and choose properties do you get a screen pop up with 3 tabs?
      If you do, when you click the middle tab is there a tick in the box up the top saying allow windows to cofigure this device? If not, tick it. Then look on the screen for a prefered networks list and remove everything that isn't work related and then ok the screens down and try to connect to your sky SSID again. If it then asks for a key give it the key off the card in capital letters.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, did all that but still with te same result as before. The tray at the bottom still tells me that the Signal Strength is Excellent and the Status is Connected, but when I try internet explorer it just comes up with the white "page cannot be displayed" message.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Talk to your IT guy and say you need to connect to a router using DHCP automatic address and DNS. He may well have set you up with a static address for your works network. He may have set a firewall to only allow your works network. In any case your home network is simple and he may be able to set you up so you can work at home.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately I'm a school teacher and so off work for the next six weeks. Any way around it? I know other staff have been able to connect their laptops on their wireless networks at home (although our IT guy may have done something to them to enable that).

Thanks

Your IP configuration indicates that you are set up for Automatic connection to the router. Two things that can cause your problem are the security password and your firewall. To rule out security, go into the router wireless settings using ethernet and tick the box to Disable security. Click apply and remove the ethernet cable, try to connect by wireless. If you can connect this confirms that your password/phrase is wrong. If you still cannot connect, then open your firewall settings and check that it is allowing access. If you are still unable to connect, uninstall the firewall and try again. Some firewalls remain active even when apparently disabled.

One other thing I would mention is that you should only be running one firewall, if you have a 3rd party one switch off the Windows one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok... weird... I was just playing around with the internet settings and I tried disabling an option to connect to a proxy server (or something) and now it all seems to be working perfectly!

Thanks very much to everyone who offered help though. I notice in everyone's profiles there's a way to "thank" people - how do I do that?

Cheers once again

Thanks

Your IT guy may have set it up to use proxy servers, why I don't know. It seems strange that an Education Dept would use them. Just click the Thanks button at the bottom right of a post to than a member.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast