Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ethernet connection fine but no wifi on my laptop

This is a discussion on Ethernet connection fine but no wifi on my laptop within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi could somebody out there please help me - i am a beginner to most wifi things apologies - we ...

kmurtagh01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Ethernet connection fine but no wifi on my laptop

Hi
      could somebody out there please help me - i am a beginner to most wifi things apologies - we got sky broadband which I installed last week. the ethernet connection is fine and working well and the router lights are all perfect. The problem is that my laptop dongle keeps trying to connect to sky wirelessly (the dongle detects it fine and accepts the network key) but then disconnects in seconds this cycle continues repeatedly. I have looked at advice on this forum given previously for similar problems which suggested going into the router settings and reentering the ssid and network key etc which I have done. After doing so I managed to connect my fathers laptop via a usb dongle to wifi but I still cannot connect my own. I bought a new dongle which claims to be sky compatible but with this and my old one (which has no previous problems connecting to any network) I am not getting connected to wifi! Do I need to change settings on my laptop?
      Please can somebody help I am at the end of my tether and its way past my bedtime

2. Advertisement
      dt101187 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet connection fine but no wifi on my laptop

built in adapter?
      right click on the wireless icon
      (start control pannel network and internet connections network connections (xp) network and sharing (vista- then manage network connections)
      right click and select view avaliable networks(xp) connect disconnect (vista)
      click sky network enter network key all in upper case there is no numbers so O are not zeros.
      this shoul connect no problem
      if u use vista and its saying unidentified network right click on the wireless icon and select properties then click on tcpip V4 properties again select use the following ip address
      ip- 192.168.0.197 (rules out conflict)
      subnet is automatic when u click on it jus incase 255.255.255.0
      default gateway- 192.168.0.1
      prefered DNS- 212.135.1.36
      alt DNS- 195.40.1.36
      this should resolve tht

you may have to go intot the router to change the ssid if u typed in the network key wrong the first time if ur using vista.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet connection fine but no wifi on my laptop

What Operating System are you using? Are you using the Dongle's WiFi Management software or the Windows WiFi Manager (you shouldn't use both, they will interfere). I've always used the Windows WiFi Manager and deleted the dongle's software completely (but not the Drivers, just the bit that manages the connection).