Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lap top blocks desk top access to internet

This is a discussion on Lap top blocks desk top access to internet within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I hope someone can help me with this problem. I run several pc's through my netgear wireless router. My ...

Gordyl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lap top blocks desk top access to internet

Hi I hope someone can help me with this problem. I run several pc's through my netgear wireless router. My problem is one of my laptops blocks the desktop's access to the internet. I have narrowed it down to a lap top using and Intelpro wireless lan 21003A mini pc adapter ,my desktop has a broadcom 802.11g adapter.

All other PC's run quite smoothly without conflicting with each other. If the desktop is connected to the internet and then I switch on the laptop, the desktop's access just seems to hang.

Any ideas??

Thanks

G

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Lap top blocks desk top access to internet

Sounds like an IP address conflict - If this is the problem it means that both machines have the same IP address which causes a conflict in the same way that it would cause the postman a headache if there were two houses in your street with the same number.

One or both of the two machines will be set with a static IP address. You haven't said which OS you are using but if you can go to the properties for the wireless adapter on each machine and navigate to the properties page for Internet Protocol, you should check the radio button next to "Obtain an IP address Automatically" and also next to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" this will allow the DHCP server in the router to allocate the IP addresses to each machine in such a way that there can never be a conflict. If there is a good reason why one machine needed a fixed IP address (Eg it is being used as a web server or print server) then you should reserve that address in the router's DHCP server setup page which will prevent the router from ever allocating that address to any other PC.

If this doesn't fix the issue, post back.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 22-07-08 at 04:42 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Ratcliffes

My Laptop is running XP professional and the desk top Vista Home Premium. I,ve tried your suggestion and they both appear to be using different IP addresses. I have also logged onto the router and looked at the attached devices, this also shows the pc's using different IP addresses.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

G

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well that clearly eliminates an IP address conflict. Can you try pinging bbc.co.uk using the command "ping bbc.co.uk -t" at the command prompt using the desktop with the laptop off. Then turn the laptop back on and let us know what happened to the pings before and after?

Do you have any issues with the laptop hardwired to the router (as opposed to connected wirelessly). I'd have said that wireless interference was unlikely given the description but I guess you never know.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks once again,

The ping before the laptop was switched on gave the following response:-

4 sent 4 received average time 24ms

after the laptop was switched on:-

Request timed out

4 sent 2 received 2 lost.

I think it must be a wireless conflict as the problem doesn't occur when the laptop is hard wired to the router .

Thanks

G

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Try changing channels on the router wireless, need to log into router as usual and go into wireless settings. Go high with the channel number.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks PaulSky, I have tried that on several occasions and the problem still persists. The router is currently set at 13.

G

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Personally, in all the time I have been using Wireless Networking I have never heard of two wireless devices paired with the same wirelsss access point (ie using the same channel and SSID) conflicting with each other. That is not to say that it is impossible, just that I haven't experienced it. I do know that you can swamp a WAP by having too many devices connected to it but that is unlikely to be a problem in a domestic environment.

I guess one way to test the theory would be to set the desktop pinging bbc.co.uk (using the -t command which makes it keep pinging until you tell it to stop) and then walk away from the router with your laptop in the opposite direction to the desktop until you reach the edge of the reception area. Assuming that the desktop is by this point further away from you than the router (obviously the physical nature of your setup may influence how easy this is) there will come a point, hopefully before reception disappears entirely, at which both laptop and desktop will be able to ping bbc.co.uk now that the one is freed from interference from the other. If this works and both machines can ping bbc.co.uk simultaneously it will prove that interference is the problem. If it does not work, the test may be inconclusive as I guess you cannot be sure to have escaped the interference zone but it is worth a go.

Another thought would be to switch off the internal wireless card in the laptop and try an external one if you can borrow one (either USB or PCMCIA). If this works then I guess you know that it isn't the use of wireless per se but that the wireless card in the laptop is perhaps faulty. I guess it could even be a faulty router but you'd have thought this unlikely on the basis that you have three other PCs working fine.

Sorry if this ramble isn't much help. I must admit to being a little stumped! Maybe some other clever soul with have some ideas for you :-)
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 23-07-08 at 02:31 PM.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I know it is not much help, but I have read many reports, mainly from students sharing flats, where one wireless PC overpowers the others and steals all the available bandwidth. I think this may be happening here, especially if an IP conflict has been ruled out, the desktops reception may be a bit weak. It may be worthwhile giving the desktop and the laptop manual addresses, both high in the range so you don't conflict with other PCs. It shouldn't make any difference, but you never know.

Is it possible to swap the adapter in the desktop with one from one of your other PCs. This might prove whether the fault lies with the desktop adapter. Trying a plug in adapter in the laptop, as already suggested, is the only other thing I can think of.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dt101187 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sounds like packet loss between the router and the pc not the internet so no point in pinging past the router. try changing the mode on the laptop to 802.11g only and if that doesnt work try changing the mode on the router or changing from 54Mbps to 108Mbps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast