Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speed on wireless pc

This is a discussion on Slow speed on wireless pc within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me. I've been on Sky Broadband Mid for 1 week now. I have ...

peteilc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow speed on wireless pc

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me.

I've been on Sky Broadband Mid for 1 week now. I have the Sagem Router, which is connected to my pc by ethernet. No complaints here as my speeds are around 6000kbps. I struggled to get passed 3500 with my previous ISP.

My wifes PC is a diferent story though. It's connected by a Netgear Wireless PCI adaptor WG311T. Speeds were upto 3000 with the old ISP but struggling to get passed 1600 now on Sky.

There are no physical changes in my set ups.

I have tried different channels and different security settings to no avail.

Any ideas? I've tried Sky support but haven't had a reply other than the automated one.

Is the wireless signal on the Sagem poor? My previous Router was the Netgear DG834GT.

Thanks.

Pete

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow speed on wireless pc

Even the guys who design broadband wireless admit that the claimed speeds are nonsense. Ethernet cable is always faster and more reliable.

What you can do is optimise reception. The signal indicator levels are largely fiction too (and quantity is not the same as quality) .

Raise the router above furniture level and try changing the angle and position of the router and PC adapter antenna.

I use a WG311 and the Version 1 model I have gives decent reception thru three walls and a floor. Though I do have the Sky Netgear DG834GT router which has an external antenna and may be better than the Sagem.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have a sagem router, the only thing I had to change was the channel from auto to 11, and then had no problems.

I live in an old cottage (so you can imagine the walls are quite sturdy, also proper floor boards.

The signal can reach upstairs, almost good over the whole house.

Set the router centrally in the property as well about waist - shoulder hieght.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi. Thanks for those replies. I've tried all that.

Sky support replied to me asking me to try all the obvious things again! No difference here.

I've come to the conclusion that the Sagem Routers wireless capability is naff. I proved this by re-connecting my Netgear one. All was Ok.

I've reconnected the Sagem ( T&C thing ) and kindly asked Sky to send out a Netgear Router stating that the Sagem one is faulty.

If they don't comply I'll just have to............... with the Netgear

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just one other thing you can try, the new routers, as you are aware, have internal aerials. One type has it positioned on the bottom of the unit and the other on the top, can't remember which is which. You could try experimenting by standing the router up on it's stand and turning it so the the bottom/top faces the PC you want to connect to. It could make a big difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that last reply. Tried it but no joy.

Had an e-mail from Sky Support today offering a replacement router. A refurbished one but they can't guarantee a Netgear.

I off work on wednesday so I'll be giving them a phone call.

In the meantime should I try changing any settings on the sagem to do with the inbuilt firewall?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Remember that any improvement will not be immediately noticeable, you may have to leave it for about 30 mins for the system to 'take'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.