Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless not connecting on Vista

This is a discussion on Wireless not connecting on Vista within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK here's the challenge: We have a Sky broadband connection with a Toshiba laptop running XP connecting using wireless quite ...

rpage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless not connecting on Vista

OK here's the challenge: We have a Sky broadband connection with a Toshiba laptop running XP connecting using wireless quite sweetly. But then we have a Dell Inspiron running Vista that refuses to connect via wireless although it does connect via a direct ethernet cable to the router. The Dell profile is added to the Netgear router 'connected devices' with the correct MAC address. There is no interference from other sources and the wireless router is next to the Dell so no issue with range and and the Dell wireless switch is on and the wireless router is visible. Tried different security configurations but no luck... Also made sure all Vista updates have been applied so it is fully up to date on the OS. I am running out of ideas...

Searched the web for 5 hours reading every post regarding wireless connection difficulties and found nothing to solve the issue. Could this be a Vista to Netgear DG834GT software driver issue?

Any ideas anyone? Please? Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless not connecting on Vista

Why are you using mac filtering in the router? There is no need to. Try resetting the router to factory settings, turn off security on it, try to connect to it.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is set p with MAC filtering. It works for the Tosh so why should it not work for the Dell? If the Tosh arrangement works then I do not want to jeopardise that by reconfiguring that setup or resetting the router to factory settings. I cannot risk the Tosh user losing internet access as it would jeopardise her job but I would have thought that if the Tosh setup is working adding another laptop should not be an issue... but seems not to be the case..

Exchange:
      Thanks

It won't stop the other laptop working unless you have done something like setting manual IPs on the computers. Turning off encryption temporarily will not hurt as you can turn it back on afterwards.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not aware of any manual IP's set. Will try your suggestion. Will be going over to their house in a couple of hours and will try it out.. By the way how does one set manual IP's ? Or should I say how do I check that a manual IP has not been set?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Click Start and click Control Panel.
      Select Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Manage network connections from the list of tasks.
      Right click the connection and click Properties.
      Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) V4 from the list and click the Properties button.
      In there it will tell you if it's set to obtain automatically or if anything is manual there will be numbers in some of the boxes.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will try and see what happens... If it is still flakey I will bring the Dell home and try connecting to my wireless network...