Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with modem

This is a discussion on Help with modem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey I currently have changed to sky broadband and got the sagem box, looks like the normal sky box and ...

5han3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help with modem

Hey

I currently have changed to sky broadband and got the sagem box, looks like the normal sky box and is grey. but i would like to change to my speedtouch one, purely because its got inbuilt firewall which works really well. i have tried to install it but keeps saying my authenication failed, but as soon as i place my sky modem back in, it works fine, can any1 help please.

i have tried resetting the speedtouch box, reinstall, uninstall everything but still get same message?

thanks in advanced

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Help with modem

What makes you think that the firewall in the Sky modem is not as good as the speedtouch one?
      You will need to extract your username and password from the Sky modem and use them in the speedtouch. This goes against the terms and conditions of your contract with Sky and could lead to you being disconnected.
      You may find details of how to do this elsewhere on the forum.

5han3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cause as far as im aware the sky one doesnt have a built in firewall?? correct me if im wrong, and the whole interface on my speedtouch i found better, i cant even access the interface on my sky modem

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't have the Sagem router but I suggest you try looking at the CD (if any) which Sky supplied which may contain help files on how to access the router's user interface including default user name and password (not to be confused with wireless passphrase or e-mail login name/pwd). There may also be a relevant tutorial on this site.

If not -- in XP, go Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. Type ipconfig/all and look for the IP address next to the word gateway (usually 192.168.0.1)

Connect router and computer by ethernet cable, put IP address into IE (or other browser) address bar and when router user interface login box appears supply user name and pwd.

NikkJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNCED
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You access the Modem by going to htpp://192.168.0.1 through your browser.
      User name admin
      password sky

(both in lowercase)

You'll find a tab on the black bar across the screen, Click on Firewall Rules and see if it does what you want it to.
      Last edited by NikkJ; 28-06-08 at 08:37 AM. Reason: edited to fix typos :)

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5han3 View Post
      cause as far as im aware the sky one doesnt have a built in firewall?? correct me if im wrong, and the whole interface on my speedtouch i found better, i cant even access the interface on my sky modem
      Sky routers have built in firewalls, in common with other modem/routers.
      How can you say you prefer the menu system in the speedtouch when you have not as yet accessed the one in the Sky router?
      You won't get access to the username and password that the router uses to access the net, by simply logging into your router.