Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Making windows wireless configuration your default connection wizard.

This is a discussion on Making windows wireless configuration your default connection wizard. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys a bit of an odd one really. i've been helping a freind over the phone to install her ...

Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Making windows wireless configuration your default connection wizard.

Hi guys

a bit of an odd one really.

i've been helping a freind over the phone to install her sky which went active today, however it would now appear she needs to use the wireless connection as the router has to be plugged in downstairs in the main socket rather than use the upstairs socket (can anyone confirm this atall as i didnt think it would make a difference?)

Basically her computer has a built in wireless application from Ratech. However Ratech has its own application it would appear for wireless. not being familiar with this i advised her to use windows connection wizard. However it will not allow her to use it as it is not set as the default.

does anyone know how to set it as the default wizard? i've talked her through all of it but it would seem a few options are missing.

For example i told her to double click the wireless network symbol.
      go to properties
      go to the Wireless Network tab and tick "Set as default"

HOWEVER she does not have this tab! the only tabs visible to her are "General" and "advanced".

apparently when she refreshes to search for networks an error message appears informing her windows isnt her default client and to use the other client blah blah blah and to make windows her default she should go through the windows wireless zero connection wizard...once again i haven't a clue where this is.

we also went through the "set up a wirless network or a small office"....once again this method i am extremly unfamiliar with and wouldn't know if it would do what we intend as it would only appear to make a computer network to
      computer network infrastructure rather than a "find wireless network and connect" job.

the main problem is i cannot physically see the computer as she now lives over 200 miles away (Kent to Doncaster....big difference :P)

if anyone can advise it would be greatly appretiated. as i'm completley lost myself!

Cheers
      James

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Making windows wireless configuration your default connection wizard.

Turn it on in services, (control panel, administrative tools, services). Look for Wireless Zero Configuration towards bottom of list and enable it. You will now have the third tab on the properties screen.

NikkJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNCED
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoscontrol View Post
      ....as the router has to be plugged in downstairs in the main socket rather than use the upstairs socket (can anyone confirm this atall as i didnt think it would make a difference?)
      There's no reason for your friend not to try the modem on the extention point.

There is a possability that her connection speed would be slower than it would through the main BT point. It can make a difference if the internal wiring is not up to scratch but it the router will connect.

Remind her to use the filters on all used phone outlets. It would be more secure than using using WiFi and a whole lot easier to set up over a 200 mile distance.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

all filters are in place .

Paulsky your information was greatly helpful, but can i ask you to go through every step with detail...as silly as it sounds i wouldnt know what buttons to press as my laptop is already wireless and fine...and as i say i can't see her computer from where i am so am unable to direct exactly.

it would be a greater help if i could just point her towards this thread that has the exact step by step help needed including what should happen, what she should see etc. as i have to admit that she isn't the most computer literate (sorry chloe for when you see this but you can't deny it )

i know it may be a large faff around for you paul but it would greatley benefit both myself and chloe in fixing thing problem...as i say not seeing a computer is genuinly harder to diagnose the problem than physically seeing
      Last edited by Kaoscontrol; 28-06-08 at 01:10 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you are running the same operating system you can see what she sees so there should be no problem.
      All she does is go to her start menu, click on the link for control panel.
      When that loads she then clicks on the icon for administrative tools.
      Click on Services

or

Click on start button on screen
      Click on run
      type the following
      services.msc
      Press Enter on keyboard

Once in the services screen she scrolls towards the bottom of the list and will see this
      http://www.ezlan.net/network/WZC-Service.jpg
      Double click on the entry for Windows Zero Configuration
      http://tinyurl.com/5a7em2
      Click on "Start". Also make sure Start up type is set to automatic.
      Click Ok to close and save changes.
      Last edited by PaulSky; 28-06-08 at 10:55 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks alot for that paul!

it worked a treat and she now she has the correct tab.

it seems however now for some reason her wireless is not detecting the router. thankfully she is now on the internet and able to send me screen shots of the things i ask for so i can point her in the right direction and the routers wireless is certainly turned on. but i find it odd that the wireless is not detecting it...

however she has since told me that it found the router in the list once...but then after 5 minutes disconnected...how odd

any other thoughts on that one folks?.
      Last edited by Kaoscontrol; 29-06-08 at 02:32 AM.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I assume you've now installed the Windows WiFi Manager and selected that as default. The problem is the OEM WiFi manager is also present and running. They can (and almost certainly will) interfere with each other. The only resolution is to delete either of them completely. I prefer the Windows WiFi Manager but others use the OEM version and it comes down to personal preference.

I've also found that on one of my computers DCHP doesn't work correctly and I've had to install a Static IP address (I used 192.168.0.25 Submask 255,255,255,0 with the Gateway as 192.168.0.1.

It's usually recommended you connect the router at the master socket for the best results. My son runs his from an extension without any problem, but he is on Base and maybe it would show up on Max.

Good luck!

Exchange:
      Thanks

If the wireless is coming and going I would expect you need to change the wireless channel on the router, is the computer seeing any wireless networks in range at all? If so they may be impacting. Go into 192.168.0.1, log in with admin and sky, if the black router click on setup in top left corner of page, if white click on wireless settings link in blue area on left of screen. Choose a channel around 11 or 13 and click on apply.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

once again Paul you saved the day. i've never had problems with channel issues so never concidered this.

the only issue now is the low signal strength but we'll fix this sure enough

thanks alot paul for your help

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wireless strength can be impacted by many things including electrical devices near the router or pc, cordless phones, other wireless networks in the area etc. Sometimes it's a case of try a channel, see how it is, try another channel etc.