Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Isolated wireless problems

This is a discussion on Isolated wireless problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This is a bit of a strange one, so I'm hoping someone out there can help! We've had our sky ...

Kathers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01332
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isolated wireless problems

This is a bit of a strange one, so I'm hoping someone out there can help!

We've had our sky broadband set up for some months now, with pretty much no problems, but then the other day, the laptop I use for work decided it couldn't see the network. Very odd since the laptop I'm using right now could see it no problems. I gave up trying to get it to connect wirelessly in the end, and plugged in an RJ45 cable.

Tonight, my other half has found that his Xbox360 doesn't want to connect to the network either! We've verified all of the settings, and rebooted both the xbox and router a couple of times.

Still this laptop can use the wireless network, no problem, but nothing else can see it. I'm stumped! HELP!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      tester2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Isolated wireless problems

Have you tried changing the wireless channel in the router?
      Since it used to work and now does not sounds like there are 1 or more people close to you who are on the same channel now.

NikkJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNCED
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try changing the routers WiFi mode settings - make sure all of your equipment supports the one you choose.

From the Sagem modem:
      Sky have set the default as '_g&b_' to provide the most flexibility. As such you should not need to change this. The options are:
      54g Auto - Set the mode to 54g Auto for the widest compatibility.
      54g Performance - Set the mode to 54g Performance for the fastest performance among 54g certified equipment.
      54g LRS - Set the mode to 54g-LRS (Limited Rate Support) allows some older 802.1b clients to be compatible with this wireless AP.
      802.11b only - Set the mode to 802.1b only if you are having difficulty connecting to this wireless AP. This will ensure you are connecting to 802.11b devices only.
      Failing that, have you moved the router recently? I moved mine from upright to lying flat and lost all Wifi connecteivity in one room.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

One easy test is to disable security on the router and see if all devices connect to it. If they do then try WEP, genrate and apply a new key and see if all devices continue to connect.