Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Matching the Adapter with the router

This is a discussion on Matching the Adapter with the router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Ime new and havnt been here before. Never had a Router before, so please forgive me if if this ...

lizziefrench is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Matching the Adapter with the router

Hi, Ime new and havnt been here before. Never had a Router before, so please forgive me if if this is a stupid question.
      I havnt yet received my router, so i dont know which adapter to buy.Does the Make of Adapter have to be the same Make as the Router, or will any adapter, USB or internal Card, be ok to use?

I would appreciate any help.
      Thank you

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Matching the Adapter with the router

Do you really need to connect wirelessly as wired is much better if you can. If you do need to then any make adapter will do so long as it is the same wireless spec as the router which is 108g. Majority will be as it is a universal spec.

Thanks

Thank you for such a quick reply.

In all honesty, i dont really know what Ime doing yet. We have 2 PC's in the house. The router will be connected to the downstairs PC, i think. Which is where i thought i would need the adapter.
      Wired i believe is connecting the router to the PC via the ethernet cable. But then i wouldnt get a signal upstairs. or would i ?I get the feeling that Maybe this is all wrong, Ime not sure.
      I was trying to make sure i had any extra bits and pieces before the engineer arrived. With one phone line and quite a few extensions i have bought some extra filters and a Faceplate which i read would be a great help.

Maybe you could put me straight .

Thanks

Thanks

You can connect 4 pc's to the router via ethernet cable and upto 255 ( i think ) via wireless all at the same time. You will need to get a network interface card for the wired pc's only if they dont already have a nic built in ( most in the last few years will have this ), again you will need a wireless adapter if not already built in ( most laptops do but not usually desktops ) a usb one would probably be the easiest.
      Last edited by dholdi; 14-06-08 at 02:33 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just a wee correction, the newer routers are 54g, so a 108 would be overkill. If you get one of the white routers, which are 108g, and some new users are getting them, then the WG111T is probably your best bet. It will not make your internet faster, but it will speed up your Local network. If you get one of the black/grey routers, then just about any 54g adapter will do. The WG111 would be a good choice.

Some find that wireless works very well in their house, but others, especially in older solid build houses, have a lot of problems. A wired connection or Homeplug adapters are far better.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just a wee correction
      NP m8, I stand corrected
      Didnt realise new routers were 54, just checked mine when i was typing.

Thanks

Many thanks to all.
      So a " Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter " . Would this be ok whichever color the router is.?
      Or i guess i could get a WG111T as well

Or would you think it would be better if i waited untill after i got the router.

Be nice if i knew what i was doing !

Thank you

Thanks

How do i know if i have a "network interface card" ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have a base unit PC have a look at the back and see if you have a small squarish socket about 10 x 12 mm, slightly larger than a dial up modem socket. It is usually but not always, placed above the USB ports. If it is a laptop, have a look around the edges for a similar port. You could also have a look at the Device Manager for an entry for 'Network Adapters'. If it is there, click the + and what is shown is your NIC. While you are there check that there are no red or yellow marks next to it as this could indicate drivers need installing.

Finding the socket is the surest way, as if the card has been disabled in the BIOS, it might not show in the Device Manager.

Maybe I should have explained a bit more about the adapter. If you get a DG834GT, it will be compatible with the WG111T and will enable you to transfer files between either a PC with the same adapter or ethernet wired and the PC using the adapter at a higher speed than you could with a 54g. If you are not likely to be transferring large files the extra expense is just not worth it.

You would be better to wait until you get the router before you decide on a wireless adapter. A network card is a must though, as you will not be able to connect to the router without one. Some routers have a USB connector but the ones supplied by Sky don't. If you don't have one, then one of THESE is probably your best bet as it requires no knowledge to fit, unlike a PCI card which requires the PC to be opened.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In theory you should use a wired network connection between the computer and router if you need to make any changes to the setup.

If you have a current laptop or desktop computer it will probably have a network socket. If not, fitting an internal (PCI) to a desktop is pretty simple -- for a laptop a PC Card (also called PCMCIA) or USB Network adapter is even easier.

In practice you may get away with simply adding wireless to your desktop or laptop (or using a laptop with built in wireless) by inputting the Sky supplied passphrase into the WPA section of the wireless adapter's user interface and saving the profile.

As far as wireless hardware goes, for a desktop a PCI wireless card is often better than USB. I would choose Netgear again because the terminology will be consistent which will make setting up a lot easier.

For a laptop, a PC Card (aka PCMCIA) wireless adapter is often better than USB.

I must admit I have found the Netgear 111v2 USB wireless adapter I have on one of my machines perfectly reliable -- but the Netgear site contains reports of USB units overheating and disconnecting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast