Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Matching the Adapter with the router

This is a discussion on Matching the Adapter with the router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Oh Boy ! What have i let myself into. A dopy old woman who certainly has a lot to learn! ...

lizziefrench is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Matching the Adapter with the router

Oh Boy ! What have i let myself into. A dopy old woman who certainly has a lot to learn!

All this wireless is mainly for my friend and his PC, downstairs. An old man screaming cause Virgin cut him off. Sad, as all he wanted was an engineer to sort out his PC, and they wouldnt send one.So i will also be cut off. Ive got 3 weeks left on Cable so hoping to get sorted by then.

His PC, i cant look at right now. But i will sort him out in the morning, i hope !

My desktop is more upto date.A beautifull "Dell"" which ive only had just over a year.
      PRO/100 VE connection" is the only thing listed under Network Adapters. You said " small squarish socket about 10 x 12 mm" lost me there.Either way, being so new it probably has all these items that have been mentioned. I will check more closely in the morning.

Now my new Laptop !! Seems to have everthing.Just one word thats not mentioned anywhere is NIC. Under 'Network Adapters' no mention of NIC , only Broadcom integrated Controller and Pro Wireless 3945ABG network connection
      Also PCMCIA Adapter ENE CB-1410//851 Cardbus Controller.

My Laptop guide has so much listed under communications that i wont bore you with right now.

Hopfully once i get the router I wll find things arnt as difficult as they seem.

My sincere thanks for all you have helped me with so far. I didnt realize there were such nice people left in this world. You can be sure I'll be back again

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think you have anything to worry about, your PC has an ethernet adapter, the PRO/100 VE. Look at the back panel and you will find it just to the side of the USB ports above the audio jacks, just like **THIS. The yellow cable you receive with the router plugs into this port and one of the ports(4) on the router.

You laptop has built-in wireless and ethernet, so don't bother about buying an adapter. Laptops are sometimes difficult to set up for wireless, but don't worry, you will get plenty of help here. I would be very surprised if the other PC does not have an ethernet port, I see a lot of boards and I have not seen one for years that did not have one.

** Click the 4th icon from left.
      Last edited by Isitme; 15-06-08 at 10:40 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

lizziefrench is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Isitme

Just got my router, but not useable, the engineer fitted wrong cable so i have to wait a bit longer.
      According to him the downstairs PC does not have an ethernet port, [lucky i bought an adapter ] but he was useless and had no idear what he was doing. If i'd known it was so simple i'de have done it myself, 3 weeks ago ! . Ime looking forward to fiddleing around with my laptop, and wireless, no telling what i might pick up
      Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12