Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems with MAC addresses etc - help needed!

This is a discussion on Problems with MAC addresses etc - help needed! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I really need some help in sorting out my router. From what i gather - it is the Sagem ...

the_vinyl_frontier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problems with MAC addresses etc - help needed!

Hello,

I really need some help in sorting out my router. From what i gather - it is the Sagem F@st 2504 that came free with sky. I had previously had the netgear router, but that had packed up.

I trie installing my new router yesterday, and i got my pc to connect (wirelessly, that is my only option) with no problems. I also got my mobile phone to connect wirelessly.

I then put in the MAC addresses of these two and clicked 'allow' - and both seemed to be working fine.

Now my problem starts...

I wanted to connect my xbox 360 wirelessly to the modem, but because it was only allowing the 2 mac addresses of my phone and pc, the 360 could not connect. I logged onto the router from my pc and changed it to BLOCK the 2 mac addresses (dont ask why, i was just having a stupid moment).

I cannot now connect to the router with my pc to change the settings.

I have tried resetting the router - with the tiny button in the back of the router, but nothing happens. When i log onto my pc, i get 'connected to wireless connection' - but i cannot view any web pages in my browser (including logging onto the modem)

I also cannont now connect with my 360 or phone.

I think i must have turned on some sort of setting to 'block all mac addresses' or something?

Is there anything i can do to try and fix it? Would i need to borrow someone laptop and connect wirelessly with that and login to the modem control panel to delete the blocked mac addresses? Or is there any other reset that i can do?

Cheers for you help,
      John

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problems with MAC addresses etc - help needed!

Factory reset button should have reset the router to the same condition in which you received it. Suggest you re-read the instructions for resetting as this should work.

I don't have the Sagem router or its reference manual but this would certainly work with a Netgear Router. Looking at the Sagem website for an instruction manual for a similar model (Always dangerous to assume it is the same) it seems as if this isn't as easy as it is on a Netgear.

The other alternative as you suggest is to borrow another laptop or better still something with a wired ethernet connection. Wired avoids the complication of wireless (which is your only problem) but if you have just blocked the MAC addresses of your phone and laptop then any device which doesn't have one of the two MAC addresses in the blocked list should work fine.
      Good luck..
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 13-06-08 at 04:07 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hold the reset button in for 10 secs, then release, do not hold it in for any longer than this though.

the_vinyl_frontier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, ill give this a go.

I rang Sky helpline and the lad said to hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You need to hold in the reset button until the Test light flashes. This usually takes about 10 secs, as Paul says. Remember the router must be powered on when you do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.