Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless / Wired Networking (Sorry If This Is Wrong Forum)

This is a discussion on Wireless / Wired Networking (Sorry If This Is Wrong Forum) within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey all, I have been having a networking problem for about 3 days now as i have just moved back ...

EJDSlayer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless / Wired Networking (Sorry If This Is Wrong Forum)

Hey all, I have been having a networking problem for about 3 days now as i have just moved back home, it is as follows:

Wireless, I have the Netgear Wireless Box (Centrally positioned in the house) with 1 computer connected via a wire (Working correctly) and a second trying to connect via a Netgear WG111T Wireless USB Adapter. All the software and drivers are correctly installed. The issue i am having is the signal between the adapter and box seems to be varying constantly between 10 - 70%, and it seems to disconnect every 5 mins or so, where the USB has to be reconnected for it to work again, and it starts all over again. I personally am not a fan of wireless internet (parents choice, also before you all assume i am too young to be sorting this i am 19 and studying computing at uni, just moved back for the summer), so i am trying to remove the wireless aspect by connecting via a wire. As ethernet cables do not fit the stupid adapters you are provided with for the phone sockets, i have a normal wire which then connects to a BT adapter which turns it into a USB port, which then connects to my computer (i have also tried using just a wire and not the USB adapter), but the computer cannot find an internet connection. Looking on the internet for help everything suggests that the main computer being used (the one working correctly) must be enabled to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" but this setting is simply not there(it is present on the upstairs but the downstairs does not have it). Meaning i cannot connect to Sky either wirelessly or via a wire, can anybody help me please. I have a feeling the downstairs computer is configured wrong, hence a wired network not working. But i cannot understand why the wireless is not connecting properly either, or the unstability of the signal.
      (Also both computers are running XP, all have the required networking cards, and all have been able to connect to other networks before)

Any help would be much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless / Wired Networking (Sorry If This Is Wrong Forum)

First thing to try in order to stabilise the wireless would be to access 192.168.0.1 via ethernet connection, go into wireless settings (if white router) or setup (black) and change the channel in use to 11 or 13, this often helps.
      The ethernet cables should connect to the yellow port on the back of the router and plug into the lan port of the PC. Where are you trying to connect them for them to not fit?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Due to the distance between the router and the computer, i was trying to use a regular phone socket to connect the second computer (as you do normal broadband) using the splitter they gave, yet these arent ethernet cable compatable.
      It is a white router btw, and the problem i am having is as my parents set this up (very badly) they arent using the wireless facility, therefore there are no wireless settings on the main computer so i have no way of changing the channel. Would it be best to install all the necessary wireless things on their computer and go from there? Because i really cannot work out what they have done, i have never come accross a wireless router where the settings on the computer have nothing to do with wireless and the wired connection cannot be shared!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok the BB enters the house via the telephone socket, from here it connects to the router via filter. You share the BB via the router, not the telephone sockets.
      Other than ethernet cables from router to computer you either need to get the wireless devices set up on the PCs or use a home network plug system.
      You cannot just plug cables into the telephone sockets directly into the pcs. If a PC is connected to the router by ethernet all you need to do is open a browser on that pc, navigate to 192.168.0.1, user name is admin, password is sky. You can then access the wireless settings on the router as that is where you change them (on the router, not the wireless device on the pc).

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

1) The option in Windows to connect one computer to the internet via another is not what you need. If you have this enabled on any machine, disable it or it will stop the second machine connecting via ethernet to the router -- as it should.

2) Do not try to connect the second computer via the phone wiring. You need either a long ethernet cable or wireless.

3) To use wireless (which seems the best bet for the second machine) initially make sure that the first machine is linked reliably to the router. Then read the help files which came on the Sky CD or see the tutorials on this site on how to address the router's user interface via you browser.

4) Once you have logged into the router's user interface, turn off wireless security temporarily until you can establish a reliable wireless connection to the second machine.

5) If you have problems, experiment with changing channels especially if the wireless adapter (the USB thingie) can detect neighbouring wifi networks. Also relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from computers or router . Try turning off UPnP in the router -- though I believe that the old problem has gone away with the latest Sky firmware.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So if i was to change the channel on the router to say 11, would the other computer be able to automatically pick up the channel change, or would i have to manually search for the router and the new channel?

Exchange:
      Thanks

The device on the pc will look for the SSID and automatically change to the channel in use.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help all, the problem seems to be fixed for now. I think the problem was 2 or more close networks running on the same channel. Although the signal is only up to 50% its better then the 15% and it doesnt seem to be disconnecting, i will try use the post about boosting the signal further up in the forum. Thanks once again for the help

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you change the router's wireless channel you are changing frequency and all wireless adapters in the area will detect the router at that channel -- the wireless adapter's interface allows you to select the router by it's ID (ie whatever you or Sky have chosen to call it) it indicates channel number but you don't have to adjust the adapter except to select the router you want to connect to.

To be honest, if you can get the concept of wireless and the role of the router and adapters it's actually easier to do than to explain. You might want to look at the Netgear site which will allow you to download the quick start leaflet and reference manual for the DG834GT used by Sky. There are slight differenced between the Sky and Netgear retail versions of the router but the principles are the same.