Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

the best way to extend my wireless coverage for somebody on a limited budget

This is a discussion on the best way to extend my wireless coverage for somebody on a limited budget within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi what is the best way to extend my wireless only coverage for somebody on a limited budget! i have ...

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

the best way to extend my wireless coverage for somebody on a limited budget

hi what is the best way to extend my wireless only coverage for somebody on a limited budget!

i have the sky modem (white v1 firmware upgraded) fitted with a 9db antenna but when i sit one floor down from my router i only get low to good coverage which is not very good for watching something like the bbc iplayer. could some body suggest something for somebody on a low budget. i have tryed the network extenders that plug into the wall and transmit via the electrical wiring no good at all.

update
      i have tryed all the channels from 1 to 13 same result

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: the best way to extend my wireless coverage for somebody on a limited budget

The mains wiring network systems seem to work well for some people but are expensive.

First try raising the router above furniture level. Another dodge is to put router and computer by windows on the same side of the building as wireless travels better thru air than plaster.

You can connect an old wireless router (a few quid at car boot sale) to your Sky unit by ethernet cable to increase wireless range. You have to set a fixed IP address in the second router (to avoid clash with Sky unit) and I think you have to turn off DHCP (?) in it and a use different wireless channel as well.

skycaptain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsland Green
      Broadband ISP: o2 Premium
      Thanks

Re: the best way to extend my wireless coverage for somebody on a limited budget

i have a USB wireless adapter thats situated in what seems to be a dead spot. i get intermittent connections which are sometimes fixed by re-entering the details or repairing the connection sometimes even using a different USB port fixes the problem. at other times theres no connection at all.

without having to spend on a repeater or range extender is it possible to use a generic USB cable extension long enough so that i could place the adapter outside the deadspot area? would using an extension cause signal degredation?

at the moment my signal seems to be affected by walls, doors and a flight of stairs.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Most USB cables are pretty short and I suspect there's a good reason for that, but perhaps someone has some firm knowledge. I doubt if one twice the usual length would cause problems, but longer ?

An alternative is to add a second wireless access point (you might call it a repeater) linked to the router by a long ethernet cable. You can use a wireless router as an access point (they can be picked up secondhand for a few quid at car boot sales) though you have to change the default IP address to avoid clashing with the Sky router and I think you have to turn off DHCP in the second router. There's guidance on this on the Netgear site. Wireless router as access point/switch - NETGEAR Forums

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@skycaptain
      It may seem silly but if you are situated below the router, try moving the aerial down to a horizontal position. The reason for this is the the 'waves' come out in a doughnut shape and you will know, you get a better bite out of a doughnut from the side than from the bottom.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

i'm just thinking may be i should use ethernet homeplugs instead at least that would eliminate the deadspot problem and other connectivity issues with wireless.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^
      That is recommended. There have been reports of homeplugs not working too well in circuits with more than one ring main, so if you have a large house it is worth checking that your wiring will comply. In saying that one reviewer HERE says that they work OK on different rings, so these ones might be worth considering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

homeplug it is then. no more acquiring network probs just hope it will work with a sky router and across 2 floors.