Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

wireless connectivity issues

This is a discussion on wireless connectivity issues within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I'm hoping someone is able to help. We have three pcs in the house, one laptop and two which ...

kyles78 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

wireless connectivity issues

I'm hoping someone is able to help. We have three pcs in the house, one laptop and two which aren't, but are networked using the products from Belkin. The two pcs have belkin dongles, and for the past ten months of our sky contract, we have intermittent connectivity to the internet. We have probably wasted a month worth of hours on the phone to sky who say that they can see we have the internet coming into the house, and so we need to call belkin as it's not their problem (belkin numbers are all in america). Now we get the internet on the laptop, which is brand new and has built in dongle, or whatever it's called to access the internet. Our modem is downstairs and the computers are upstairs (locked away from three young children). Sky have suggested that we have to move the computers downstairs to use a yellow cable to connect the modem directly to the pcs, which my partner physically moved on the telephone to them, which still didn't connect to the internet. When I first requested the sky connection to move from virgin to sky, the salesperson on the phone asked if I wanted someone to come to the house and connect it all for me, I said yes, as I'm not too good at these things, but she forgot to select that, therefore we were told if someone came to the house it would cost us 50 or something, and the other option we have is to buy their dongles. How can we get our sky to work upstairs? Thanks

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Re: wireless connectivity issues

If you have connectivity -- but it's intermittent -- I think you are suffering from range/interference problem(s).

There's probably nothing inherently wrong with the Belkin units and Sky's suggestion that you should change to their model (a Netgear unit as I recall) would make no difference -- it's just Sky policy not to support third party gear.

I would see whether your computers can detect any neighbouring wifi networks and change channel as far from the strongest as poss. (see help files on Sky CD or tutorials on this site for more info).

Raising the router above furniture level and relocating equipment such as video sender or cordless phone base will help.

Relocate the computers within each room so that they are nearer the router and use the extension cable which comes with the USB wireless adapters -- a few feet or a different angle can make a big difference.

Another trick is to put the router and the receiving computers near windows on the same side of the building -- wireless travels better thru air than bricks and plaster.