Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Super fast then super slow connection!

This is a discussion on Super fast then super slow connection! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Premium It has an INTEL WIRELESS WIFI LINK 4965AGN adapter ...

darquestar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Super fast then super slow wireless connection!

Have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Premium

It has an INTEL WIRELESS WIFI LINK 4965AGN adapter and connects to the Sky Router (Netgear V2) usually at 500Kbps but on occasions reaches 13000Kbps as it does on my other laptop. Signal Quality is excellent and speed is 54mbps. It is fine when connected by Ethernet cable.

I have just upgraded to SP1 hoping this would solve the problem but it is still the same, however Windows Update did have problems downloading an update for the 4965AGN driver so I downloaded it straight from Dell Support and when manually checking for driver updates it states I have the latest one.

My other laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400 with XP Media Center Edition connects wirelessly at 13000Kbps at all times, it has an INTEL PRO WIRELESS 3945ABG adapter. I use TCP Optimizer to get this speed so is it possible there is a problem with Vista's TCP Auto Tune which is causing the wild fluctuation.

I have noticed on the Wireless Network Connection Status it says IPv4 Connectivity is Internet and IPv6 Connectivity is Limited. I'm not sure whether this is anything to do with it.

Any help would be much appreicated.
      Last edited by darquestar; 08-05-08 at 10:29 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Super fast then super slow connection!

You could try uninstalling the wireless adapter, then reinstall it using the latest one from Dell. I do not trust any drivers updates from MS.

As for your second query, IPv6 is the latest protocol and as far as I know, at the moment is only used on US Govt and Military sites. I don't think it is used at all in UK. It can in fact, cause some connectivity problems, so I would advise disabling it until such time as it is really required. You can do this in the Adapters Properties, by removing the tick next to it. Some have seen their problems disappear with the simple 'fix'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have installed the latest Dell driver and disabled the IPv6 Connectivity but unfortunately to no avail as problem still persists. I have noticed it gets worse when the other laptop is connected wirelessly also.

I have checked the router at 192.168.0.1 and noticed that under MAINTENANCE - ATTACHED DEVICES it is sometimes blank even when one or both laptops are wirelessly connected. As I write this, the laptop is showing up in ATTACHED DEVICES and connection is fine. I wonder if the router is somehow dropping connection intermittently and is losing contact with the laptop.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The indicators you are using to judge signal strength/quality/speed are not really reliable.

From the symptoms you describe I would assume wireless reception/range/interference are the likely issues. Try raising the router above furniture level, try switching channels (particularly if you can detect neighbouring wifi), and relocate video sender or cordless phone base away from router or computer

Thanks

You could try turning off Auto tune in Vista, there are cases where it causes problems. If you want to try this, click Start, type COM, right click the Command Prompt icon above and select Run as Administrator. Type in the CP
      netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Changing "disabled" to "normal" will re-enable this setting, if you want to turn it back on again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Deactivate IPV6, and change the channel numeber on on the router. Your should get no problems then.

Thanks

^^^^^^^
      He has already turned off IPv6 and gets excellent reception on another PC, so changing the channel may do more harm than good.
      Last edited by Isitme; 13-05-08 at 10:37 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

@darquestar

If you turn of the Auto-tune function I think TCPOptimiser should work on Vista, provided you right click and run it as Administrator. What you might want to try is going HERE and have your connection analysed. Try it first with the Auto-tune turned on, then with it Disabled and then after running TCPOtimizer, which is available from the same site. A comparison of the results would be interesting.

TCPOptimizer or DrTCP will not work with Auto-tune turned on.

I tried to post this using the Edit function but for some reason it would not work. Hence the apparently unnecessary second post.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think I've cracked it ... for now

Tried disabling the auto-tuning feature but it was still unstable and sg tcp optimizer didn't seem to work either.

However after trudinging the interweb found that having the current Medium Power Plan for the battery can sometimes power down the wireless adapter even though I have set it not to turn off to save power.

So I have used the laptop either with ac power or high performance power plan and it seems to be maintaining high speed connection again.

Just need to try and set up the wireless network with a vista and xp machine as they can never see each other when on at the same time - it's driving me mad!