Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

NetgearV1 Router + 2 WG111v2 dongles = Connection issues.

This is a discussion on NetgearV1 Router + 2 WG111v2 dongles = Connection issues. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, 1st post and diving right in with an issue that is giving me major headaches. This might be ...

Heckler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Keynes
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear DG834GT V1 Router + 2 WG111v2 dongles = Connection issues.

Hi everyone, 1st post and diving right in with an issue that is giving me major headaches.

This might be a long post, as I will try to be as detailed as possible on this strange issue. I have searched to see if I can find anything identical with no luck.

OK, here goes.

I have a netgear DG834GT sky router, firmware V1.03.87, connected to this (but never at the same time) are 2 PC's each using an identical WG111v2 USB dongle.

PC specs:

PC1 - P4, 2.5ghz, 1gb ram... Medion piece of crap with USB 1.1 only.
      PC2 - My personally built PC, 3200XP, Abit motherboard, 2gb ram, USB 2.0

Both PC's connect to the router, PC is above the hall and gets a 85-90% signal, PC2 is at the back of the house and gets between 60-72% signal.

Both PC's cannot connect at the same time.

If PC1 is connected via the dongle, PC2 although shown as connected starts to lose all ability to browse, download and generally do anything. Eventually the connection will drop out and not reconnect.

If PC1 is shut down, PC2 can sometimes reconnect ok... but often the router has to be reset first. PC2 only seems to be able to connect at 11mbps, it shows a 54mbps connection at first, which then drops to 11mbps.

I have done what I can to check settings, swapped dongles, cables around and no change. Id PC1 is connected and PC2 loses it... PC1 still runs perfectly and can browse fine.

I can find no reason for interference, have changed router settings to channel 6 as next door uses channel 1 and the guy a few doors down is using channel 11. I am using WPA security and have access control on with each PC's MAC addy programmed in ok.

I have tried running some speed tests over on speed guide, and in spite of the fact that 10 days ago I upgraded from base to mid level... I am getting scores showing my connection is now between 1mb and 2.5mb. Last weekend, when the connection was first upgraded I was getting scores indicating 5-6mbps and downloads peaking at close to 700k/s. Now I'm lucky to get a download peaking at 230k/s.

I have downloaded the tcp optimiser, but whilst I am quite literate with computers and can build, run networks and lots of other stuff... Wireless is still quite new to me and that's what's frustrating, I am unsure quite what sort of settings I should be using.

A few questions...

Could the USB 1.1 on the other PC be a cause? I can't see how as it should just mean that PC connects at 11mbps rather than 54mbps.

Is the fact the slower PC is closer to the router a factor in any possible interference?

What can I do to get both of these PC's connected at the same time, without resorting to resetting the router and having to shutdown the other PC (which is used a fraction of the time my one is). My PC is the most important one as it needs to be connected 24/7.

I have recently moved into this house, I am actually closer to the exchange than I was at my last house and sky was already installed here... I simply upgraded the package. I never had any issues at my previous house, although I was connected via cable, and my 2nd PC was done via wireless... with no issues.

All advice and assistance, will be most appreciated.

EDIT - Both PC's are running windows XP, PC1 is XP Home and PC2 is XP Pro both have SP2 and are uptodate. Firewalls are not the issue as it's been tested with and without, AV isn't an issue either as both are running identical setups for security and various settings have been tried and various programs shutdown for testing.
      Last edited by Heckler; 26-04-08 at 08:35 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: NetgearV1 Router + 2 WG111v2 dongles = Connection issues.

have you configured a static ip for them and accidentally chose the same one for each?
      tried changing wireless channels?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, should have said that. Both PC's have a static IP assigned to them, and I have tried several channels with no difference.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

are the static IPs assigned thru the network apapter property in windows or by using the router util config?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

static IP's are assigned through windows.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

okay try:

a) switcing the windows settings back to auto and log into router at 192.168.0.1 and set them in there

or

b) setting them in both windows and router

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Things seem to be getting worse, even with PC1 shut down I am having a real problem connecting and even though it says initially it's connected at 54mbps, as soon as I try loading pages (even the router settings) it drops to as low as 1mbps.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, updated router settings and added the static IP... redid the TCP optimiser as I had returned it to default and rebooted.

PC2 is now running pretty smoothly... speedguide tests indicate 6468kb/s, with a whopping 809KB/s.

Am now about to boot up PC1 and manually add that to the router settings too... See what effect that has on things.

Everything is crossed.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Everything seems to be working 100% now.

Both PC's are connected right now and working. Seems to have been ok for the last 12-18hrs.

I'm kinda stunned that such a minor tweak as inputting the IP manually at the PC and router would solve all the problems... Never would have occurred to me as I have never encountered such a problem when using wired lans over the last 8-9 years.

Thanks for the help, has cured my headache... both of em.