Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Sky Sagem Wireless Router Problems

This is a discussion on Sky Sagem Wireless Router Problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone In January I was first connected with Sky Broadband Max (Previously on Virgin cable!). I have two computers ...

terrym is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn (01254)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:

Sky Sagem Wireless Router Problems

Hi everyone

In January I was first connected with Sky Broadband Max (Previously on Virgin cable!). I have two computers both running XP SP2. The computers are upstairs and the router is downstairs. So I connected straightaway wirelessly using a couple of TRENDnet TEW-424UB 54M USB dongles, which use a Realtek RTL8187B driver.

From installation in January until about three weeks ago, every thing worked as one would expect. And almost as quick as my previous Virgin 4meg cable connection. No dropouts, no slow speeds. It just worked.

Then about three weeks ago, I used the internet in the morning and it was OK. Tried again after tea and no matter what I tried, I just couldn't get connected. Even to the Router.

Phoned Sky and it turned out that the connection to my exchange was OK, but the Wireless light wasn't coming on. So they agreed to send me a new router.

While waiting for that to come, I extended the phone to upstairs and bought the router upstairs as well. There I connected to it with the "Yellow Cable" and an old Ethernet PCI card, and so was able to restore my connection.

When the new Router came, I had quite a struggle getting a wireless connection to it. And suddenly, after many hours fiddling and testing etc, it just started working. And then everything was fine again.

Then, last night when I tried to connect (after a successful morning session) it just wouldn't connect. This time, the connection and wireless lights were both on? I rang Sky but had to give up as I couldn't understand the Philipino person. So this morning, I repeated what I did last time and bought the Router upstairs again. Hence the connection I'm writing this on.

Also, I have had a look at my stats and my Down speed is 3776, my Line att is 54.0db, and my Noise margin is 11.1db. I think I am about 3-4Km from our local exchange (Blackburn, Lancs.)

This brings me to a few questions which someone might be able to answer....

Does anyone else have similar problems with the Sagem Router?
      Does anyone use or have problems with the TRENDnet dongles?
      Would I be better off buying a Netgear Router, or perhaps another brand of USB dongle?
      Any suggestions, remedies or whatever would be most welcome.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other

Re: Sky Sagem Wireless Router Problems

first thing you could try is to change the channel on the router, there may be new networks in the area using the same one, also if you have a cordless phone you could try moving it away form the router as this can be a problem sometimes