Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Help!!help!! Help!!

This is a discussion on Help!!help!! Help!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Help!! Where do i start? We have a new Dell Vostro 1000 lap top and wanted to connect it to ...

millijack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help!!help!! Help!!

Help!! Where do i start?

We have a new Dell Vostro 1000 lap top and wanted to connect it to our home wireless network this was running on ethernet Wlep connection through a Netgear DG834 router.

I have never had a problem before; but after following instructions, i have the following problem.
      The home computer will now only work by using fixed line broadband with what appears to be a Wlan connection and i still can not connect the lap top !!

I have only limited knowledge and am fast losing the will to live, can anybody advise me with a step by step instruction so that i can connect both the home computer and lap top on the same wirless network.

Thanks very much for any assistance.

2. Advertisement
      kpax88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help!!help!! Help!!

Well you need to explain your setup better...

I am presuming you have two computers with wireless capability...

Presuming their running Windows Vista... you right click the wireless icon in bottom right and goto connect to a network...

Connect to SKYXXXXX and enter the WPA password (under the router base)

Do that on both computers and you can run a home network and your internet off that

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry... home computer is XP and lap top is Vista...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Laptop is vista but there is also a desktop XP machine? Ok, do either of the machines see your router SSID (SkyXXXX) number within their list of available networks?
      Secondly have either machine ever asked for Network keys when you told them to connect to the network (if you have ever done this)?
      If both machines work without isue with the yellow ethernet cable then the issue is just the wireless setup on both machines which is understandable if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing.
      I would suggest powering off the router and shutting down the xp machine, remove the yellow cable, power up the router and then the PC. Open the XP control panel, open network connections, double click on the WLAN/ Wireless LAN icon. See if it attempts to connect.
      You may be better off calling Sky TS to go through the setup on the XP machine, once that is working the Vista machine should be easy to connect.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You would better going into the router set up, to the Wireless Settings section and under Security Options select Disable. See if your PCs can now find the network. It will be shown as Unsecured, with the SSID of the router. If it is not found look in your Services and check that WZC in XP and WLAN Auto Config is set to Automatic. Services can be found in XP by right clicking My Computer, select Manage the Services. In Vista click Start and type services, click the icon that will appear in the pane above and accept the UAC. There are times when WZC does not work too well ,but try using it first before trying the alternative.

There is a very good tutorial on setting up the wireless router, which you will find here-
      Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How-to Configure your Routers Wireless Settings

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the options; i have tried them both but as soon as i remove the yellow cable the internet just crashes.

I am sure that it is something simple that i am not doing ....i have the following running on the desk top
      1. Local area connection 2 connected through Internet Gateway via Rhine 2 Fast Internet .
      2. Wireless Connection 6 not connected
      3. Green box stating that WLAN configuration is connected

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated
      Thanks Guys

Thanks

What happens when you double click or right click the No2 Wireless Connection 6 not connected? Do you get an option to Enable it?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I get the option to change settings, open network connections, repair and view available wirless netwok

Thanks

What happens when you select these options open network connections, repair and view available wireless network?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

1. when clicking firewalls i go through to firewall options.
      2. " " " " network connections this shows wirelss network connection is not connected.
      3. When clicking repair.. this goes through to wireless manager through Inventel it then says windows could not repair the problem because of the following "connecting to the wireless network"
      4. When clicking "view a network" this will not allow me as windows does not conigure the wireless connection etc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast