Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Help!!help!! Help!!

This is a discussion on Help!!help!! Help!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK, try this. Open your Network settings, right click the icon for your WiFii adapter and select properties. Highlight the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help!!help!! Help!!

OK, try this. Open your Network settings, right click the icon for your WiFii adapter and select properties. Highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button. Tick the button next to 'Use this IP address' and type in-
      IP Address... 192.168.0.7
      Subnet.......255.255.255.0
      Gateway......192.168.0.1

Preferred server...208.67.222.222

Secondary server.208.67.220.220

Switch your router off and then on again, see is you can connect.

The Key is printed on the router and consists of 8 capital letter, something like IRFBEFGK. When you re-enable security on the router you will have to type/paste this into the adapters box for the pasword.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      millijack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      I have followed the above instructions but still unable to connect? Am i being really thick or do i have a major problem?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

**I Have just re-set the router and i am now connected on the wireless network**

A massive thanks to Isitme......

Now back to the laptop (this is running on Vista) ..it can see the wireless connection but states "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network" Any suggestions?

Thanks

Go to the Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre and first check that it is set to a Private network. If it is not click customize and select Private, also check that Network discovery is ON.

Now in the Left panel, click Set up a Connection or Network. In the next Pane select 'Connect to the Internet' and follow the Wizard through.

If this does not get you on try the 'Connect to a network' link in the same left pane, this should find your wireless connection.

As it is a laptop and likely to be used on another network, you want to leave it to find the IP Automatically. However being Vista, you can do much the same as you did with the XP PC and still leave that option. Clicking Manage Network Connections on the same left pane will take you to the adapter page, right click, select Properties and highlight Internet Protocol Version 4. Leave the first page as it is and click the 'Alternate Configuration' tab, then select 'User Configured' Fill in the boxes the same as you did for XP, except that the IP Address will be 192.168.0.8. Leave the WINS boxes empty.

While you are at the Properties page, untick Internet Protocol Version 6. This is not required at present in UK and is known to cause problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isitme... thanks for your help... i have just tried the above but cannot connect...i forgot to mention that the laptop picks up three different networks (including mine) ; when i trey and connect to these two it asks me for the security key ... but when i try and connect to my network it does not allow me this option ... i am wondering whether i amended anything when we first tried to connect the lap top up ( seems like last year !!) Thanks

Thanks

Have you enabled the Security on the router? I don't think Vista likes connecting to unsecured networks. This may be the problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have disabled the firewall, still no joy at connecting...it still states "the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network"

although by hovering the mouse over this it does state " signal strength excellent" security type "wpa sk" radio type 802.11g and the SSID code... i take it this means it is compatible and they are seeing each other but not allowing me to connect?

Thanks

"the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network"
      I think this means that Key has not been entered correctly. Could you have a look at THIS article, it explains what to do to Connect Vista. I may have missed something important which is causing the problem.

What may be the best way is to delete all the networks you have created and start afresh. You may find that you have several. To delete them go to the Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre and click the blue 'Customize' link. When the next pane opens click 'Merge or Delete Network locations' at the bottom then highlight and delete the entries. When you have done this, start again by clicking the 'Connect to a Network' link in the left pane.

Remember that the SSID is not the Key, it is simply the name of the Network, the Network Key is shown on the Router and in it's Security settings.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isit me... a huge thanks... am now fully connected i think it was to do with the Internet Proctocol version 6 !!!!!!!

Thanks

There is a good article on wireless networking in this months(June?) PC Answers issue 185. It also has a DVD with lots of useful Network tools and is well worth the cover price. It might not be on the stands yet, but you would do well to pick up a copy for future reference.

Glad your finally fixed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234