Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Help!!help!! Help!!

This is a discussion on Help!!help!! Help!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; When you say you can't connect, do you mean with ethernet? If so, go to the Network Settings in the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Help!!help!! Help!!

When you say you can't connect, do you mean with ethernet? If so, go to the Network Settings in the Control Panel, open the properties of your LAN adapter,(not the WLAN) highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click properties. Check that you are set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' is ticked. With the router powered up, push a biro point into the little hole at the back. Hold it there for about 10 secs or until the tick flashes, your router is now set to default. Plug the yellow cable into the router and the PC ethernet port your PC should find the router and connect. Click your IE or FireFox icon to connect to the internet.

There is no point in using the Sky disk, it will do nothing but clutter up your system with non-essential rubbish.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      millijack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Brilliant ....
      Will check this out when i get home about 19.00 tonight ... and let you know...

nb... I found that for some reason could not connect using the yellow ethernet connector, so tried the broadband cable direct from teh telephone line and could still not connect... would the above effect this aswell?

Thanks

If you mean you tried to connect without using the router, no, you can't do that. To connect to the internet you have to use a modem, which is incorporated in the router. The LAN card in your PC allows you to connect to the router, it is not a modem and you would find that the RJ11 plug would not fit very well in the RJ45 socket.

I don't think, at least I hope, it has not done any damage. If it has it will be shown in the Device Manager. Have a look there under Network adapters.

I have just done a quick check and see that your router has probably received the new firmware. It may be that you are one of the few who are having problems with it.
      Last edited by Isitme; 18-04-08 at 05:21 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well back again.. !!

Thanks isitme for telling me how to reset the router. All weekend i am haing the following problem it keeps stating "limited or no connectivity" and "this problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer" and when i try to "repair" this it states cannot repair as windows can not renew the IP address
      i find that i have to either keep re-setting the router or turning the power of to the router to resolve this... any ideas what is causing this... ia also find that the desk top is going through an internet gateway could this be causing a problem? in the mean time i purchased a buffalo wireless g adaptor but have not got anywhere with it because of the above !!
      any ideas .... thanks guys

Thanks

All weekend i am haing the following problem it keeps stating "limited or no connectivity"
      Is this with wireless or ethernet? If it is wireless then it is probably the quality of the signal is not good enough to maintain the connection. Try changing the channel on the router to see if it improves. Altering the position of the router sometimes helps, if it is on the floor, try putting it on a shelf. Also make sure it is well clear of any cordless phones.

This does not often happen with an ethernet connection. When it does, it is usually due to a loose connection, either into the PC or the router. Try unplugging the cable at both ends and plug it in again securely. It is sometimes worthwhile trying it in a different port in the router. Reinstalling the drivers for the network card may also help, especially if it is using MS ones, get the latest ones from the manufacturers site.

The Internet gateway icon is nothing to worry about

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isitme... thanks for all your assistance...

The ethernet cable was loose so this was dropping my connection.
      Now i have removed my Inventel wireless adaptor completely from the desk top so i am only connecting via the ethernet connector. I have purchased a bufaloo wireless g adaptor and i am just about to try and install this .. so watch this space !!!!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

well ... i have surprised myself.... the buffalo has been installed .. the desk top has given me two Sky wirless networks to connect to and of course... the wireless network that i have always had i can not connect to and i am connected to the other one but a very low signal and this appears to be a WAP installation.... my preferred connection is full strength etc but windows just states unable to connect ... any advice???

Thanks

You may be trying to connect to a neighbours if the strength is very low. I think the strong one will be yours. Try turning off the Security in the router, this would be turned on when you reset. If it connects OK, make sure you have entered the Key correctly. It is all Capital letters with no numbers.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Whay ... Brilliant... Thanks ... i have connected but it is showing as unsecured ... what do i do next and what is this key??

Sky TV:
      Thanks

what i mean is .. the full strength network is is now the automatic connection ; however i am still not connected despite their being no firewall on the router and firewall for the desk top

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast