Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless router connection failing

This is a discussion on Wireless router connection failing within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there Someone please help me !! I've just got Sky Broadband and also a WB 54g USB Wi-Fi Dongle ...

omghelp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028 28
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Wireless router connection failing

Hi there

Someone please help me !!

I've just got Sky Broadband and also a WB 54g USB Wi-Fi Dongle and can't connect at all.

Firstly,when I viewed available connections, none showed but then realised I'd not turned off my firewall.

I can now see the SKY 12345 connection, but at the right hand side (bottom of screen) it flickers constantly between 'Connect' and 'Disconnect' and I just ain't getting anywhere fast, it seems that the connection isn't constant.

When I hit 'Connect' it does ask me for the username and password, but just goes back to the same screen and does nothing.

Also, on the start bar, it flickers between a 3 green bars and 5 black every couple of seconds, so I take it that when it goes black, I've lost the connection?

Please, please help. Thanks ever so much

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Wireless router connection failing

I'm not familiar with the Wi-Fi adapter in question, but when you get that "connect, then disconnect" pattern of behaviour, it's usually because of a security issue.

First, make sure the adapter is using WPA-PSK security, and you've typed the password ("network key") correctly. The default password with Sky routers is always exactly 8 capital letters, so if you think you've got a one, it's actually a capital letter I, if you think you've got a zero, it's actually a capital letter O. Oh and you have to make sure you enter the password in capitals because it is case sensitive.

sky_drone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: woking
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Wireless router connection failing

I have the same problem with a Sagem. I cannot connect to the router from a Belkin USB, a Dell PC, a Compaq PC and an old Linksys PCMCIA card.

I don't have any problems using them to connect to other routers - and there is nothing wrong with the Ethernet connections...

I spoke with Sky's Tech Support, and despite the fact that none of the above can connect - somehow that's not the fault of their router... When I disputed that - they cut me off !!

Anyone have any ideas please???

EDIT: After seeing a comment about a similar fault on another forum site, (found by Google), I have just done the recommended factory reset on the router. I then deleted the WIFI settings from 2 of my machines and recreated them - and it all works now!

The reason stated on the other site is that my router is probably a refurbished unit that wasn't reset properly before being sent out to me. (Sorry - lost the lnk)
      Last edited by sky_drone; 08-05-08 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Updated information