Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Finding wireless noise

This is a discussion on Finding wireless noise within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, After moving my router the wireless reception I get in my room isn't as good as it was before. ...

hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Finding wireless noise

Hello,

After moving my router the wireless reception I get in my room isn't as good as it was before. Notably, it's considerably better in nearby rooms, which aren't necessarily closer to the router. I suspect the amount of electrical equipment I have in my room is interfering somewhat with the connection. Are there any programmes that can monitor noise - either on a particular wireless channel or all noise within an appropriate frequency range? Anything capable of running on an ipod touch would be a godsend. I'm currently using netstumbler on my ipod, which is good at showing network signal strengths but doesn't show a frequency spectrum. Are there any programmes that do?

Cheers.

2. Advertisement
      hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Finding wireless noise

Additional question:

After reading this
      Microsoft Corporation
      Notice that the 802.11b signals overlap with adjacent channel frequencies. As a result, you can only use three channels (in the United States, channels 1, 6, and 11) without causing interference between adjacent APs.
      There are about 7 networks detectable from my house, all on channel 11 expect for 1, which is on channel 1 and mine (13). Although it's not on the graph at the top of the page, I'm guessing there's overlap between channels 11 and 13? If this is the case, how significant is interference caused by this overlap? I'm going to try switching to channel 5ish when I get home to see if it makes much of a difference to the signal quality.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are surrounded by users on channel 1 and 11, the middle ones are the best to try, 5,6 or7. As you surmise, 11 and 13 will overlap.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

how i check if noise is affecting my network speed, is download at my max speed possible (using a speed test or w/e), and then ping the router (192.168.0.1)

if the replies go over like 10ms repeatedly, you have probably got wireless noise. mine sometimes reach 300ms!