Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Windows Cannot Connect To Sky ?!

This is a discussion on Windows Cannot Connect To Sky ?! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Recently Got Sky Broadband..Works Perfectly Via The Ethernet Cable..Only One Problem..It Finds The Wireless Network..Starts To Connect..Then Says Windows Cannot ...

xsineadx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Windows Cannot Connect To Sky ?!

Recently Got Sky Broadband..Works Perfectly Via The Ethernet Cable..Only One Problem..It Finds The Wireless Network..Starts To Connect..Then Says Windows Cannot Connect To SKy12345..Been Through Everything With Sky But Its Still Not Working Any Help Would Be Much Appreciated !

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Windows Cannot Connect To Sky ?!

What wireless device are you using? Have you tried changing the channel on the router, turn off encryption and then try connecting wirelessly? If it then connects and you have access to router status page you can then try turn the encryption back on. Also if possible go into your prefered networks list on the wireless device settings and remove all prefered networks so that windows has to ask for the key again.

hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What version of Windows are you using?

xsineadx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using Windows Vista..Not sure how you change the channel on the router ?..When It says its cannot connect..its says this is because windows is not picking up anything up from the router/access point if thats any help !?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you can see the SSID on your router via wireless then Windows can see it but not connect. To check the channel open a browser, clear the address line, navigate to 192.168.0.1, user name admin, password sky. If its a white router click on the wireless settings link in the blue section on the left of the screen, click on the channel drop down list, select new channel, scroll page down a bit and click on apply changes button.
      Is this built in wireless? If so what happened when you were asked to turn off encryption on the router (should be a basic step in the wireless TS)?

sureshot2109 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi - I have the same problem. Windows Vista - Sagem 2504 f@st router.

Hard wired connection to router is fine but cannot connect wirelessly - can see the router but wont connect - get an error stating that windows gets no response.

Have tried: Reset router/reboot laptop. Disabled wireless security. Mac Restriction is off, disabled my anti virus and firewall. Changed security settings (new password/security type). Nothing works! Also tried old laptop with XP installed but still no joy.

Run out of ideas now - grateful for any advice

Tks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@both
      How far are you from the router? Try moving it right next to the PC you are trying to connect. It does not have to be connected to the phone line for this test, just powered up.

Also try standing the router up on it's legs and turn it slowly around to re-orientate the aerial, see if you can connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Lincman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I too have just been set up on Sky and cannot connect wirelessly (direct connection is fine) - have tried absolutely everything, disabled, WEP, reset, etc. I dont even get an error - it finds the The Sky router says its connecting then doesnt - no error at all?? They (Sky help) tell me its my intel adaptor (4965AG). Does this sound feasible - the adaptor??
      Any help greatly appreciated

sureshot2109 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exact same prob - I have fixed although not sure how, tried connecting my Wii to the router and it worked after that the laptop connected as well with no probs.

Only difference is that my router is now on the floor under my tv cabinet rather than on a shelf!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

They (Sky help) tell me its my intel adaptor (4965AG). Does this sound feasible - the adaptor??
      It is feasible but hardly likely, as this is one of the widest used adapters available, used in laptops by HP Lenovo, Toshiba etc. First I would go to the manufactures site and download the latest drivers. Then go to the Device Manager and uninstall the adapter, reboot and reinstall it using the new drivers. Don't allow Windows to install a generic driver. If it does, go to the Device Manager again, open the adapter's properties, driver tab and click the Update driver button, point it to the new driver.

If the new driver does not fix it, try turning off WZC. If you want to try this, right click My Computer, select Manage, then Services. Scroll down to near the bottom of the list, double click Windows Zero Configuration, click the stop button then use the drop down box to select Disabled. Click Apply and close out the Management console. WZC is a good idea, when it works correctly, unfortunately in some cases it never does.

Turning this off will allow you to use the adapters software, which may work better. Leave the router's security Disabled until you make a connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast