Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Windows Cannot Connect To Sky ?!

This is a discussion on Windows Cannot Connect To Sky ?! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; As a last resort you might want to do as I did. Force a factory reset, then delete and recreate ...

sky_drone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: woking
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Windows Cannot Connect To Sky ?!

As a last resort you might want to do as I did. Force a factory reset, then delete and recreate your wireless entry. It worked for me...

2. Advertisement
      Lincman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok I have reinstalled drivers no joy there. I have disabled WZC - but how now do I connect using the Intel software - the standard Wireless connection says to use the wireless software - but I cant see it anywhere. Is this Intel PRO...I have found the folders under programs, executed them all........but cannot see how to activate this software to make the connection. Cheers

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sky_drone View Post
      As a last resort you might want to do as I did. Force a factory reset, then delete and recreate your wireless entry. It worked for me...

Ok cool I'll give that a go - just to confirm you are forcing a factory reset of the modem or the laptop adaptors etc??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at this page -
      Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - Notebook vendor support
      Locate your laptop manufacturer and follow the links to their Support page. Have a look and see if they have Wireless Network Connection Software available. If they don't you will find generic Intel software here-
      Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Search Results

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Alright people - after trying a combination of all your input it is working now - thanks heaps - I think the reset was the key - but then I did another reload of the adaptor too and re-eneabled WZC! I was worried that there was going to be a future report on the news of a disgruntled Aussie Sky subscriber storming Sky headquarters armed with a NetGear modem as his weapon - lol.
      Cheers people.

Dancer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Larne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi Folks,
      I am now having the same problem. It had been working perfectly since I bought it last August but now Connection to the Internet via the Ethernet cable is fine, but I can't connect wirelessly. I get the following message 'Windows cannot connect to SKYxxxxxx'. I then use Diagnose the problem and get the following message straight away 'The connection to SKYxxxxxx was cancelled' this might be due to timeout or user action. My wireless network shows as Signal strength 'Excellent' 99% (it is only across the desk from the Sagem Router).
      I am using an Acer Aspire 5920 Laptop with Vista SP1 installed and the Network Adapter, an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG Network Adapter has the latest Driver installed. I have another Laptop which is working perfectly from another room. So the Sky Router is working all right.
      I cannot see how to 'Force a Factory reset on the Acer. My old Compaq has a reset hole on the bottom, but My wife's Newer Compaq as well as the Acer do not have a reset switch visible. is there another way to force a Factory Resey without having to do Recovery process. I am at a loss as well.
      I have tried System Restores without success.
      Any ideas would br gratefully appreciated.
      Best Wishes
      Brian

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello Brian

As isitme said you mite want to update the drivers for the wireless network card,
      This can be done by going to the web site of who ever makes the laptops,

On there site you will find the drivers needed for the laptop that you have,
      If you download them with the cable connection,
      after you have them remvoe the cable and you need to un-install the device so go to start where is says " start search " type device manager and press enter,
      from here you will see all devices install on your system
      beside network adapters there will be a + click this to open it up more and you will see the wireless adapter right click on it and go to uninstall and then reboot the system,

When windows load it will install the wireless card and should ask you for the new drivers .

Also have a look here,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152
      Last edited by Steven_Belfast; 05-03-09 at 03:36 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

First thing I would do is a factory reset of the router, that seem to be what cured the OP's problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@Dancer
      Have you had any updates recently? Check that none of these are causing the problem. MS have a habit of updating drivers and messing them up. If your adapter has had a recent up date from MS, try rolling back to the previous driver. Never accept updates from MS for drivers, get them from the manufacturer.

If you rule out drivers, one way to check whether it is software that is causing the problem is to start in Safe Mode with Networking. If you can connect then the firewall, AV or some other software is causing the problem.

A useful trouble-shooting step is to turn off the Security in the router, if you can then connect, your security key is wrong.

Remember if you reset the router, the security password will be set to default, so if you have changed it, which you should have, you will have to change it again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Naranja is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I had the same problem yesterday

It was ok in the morning but when I got in from work later in the evening my laptop wouldn't connect to the router

Did a factory reset and all was fine and still is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast