Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using Wireless Access Point to extend Sky Broadband Router Coverage

This is a discussion on Using Wireless Access Point to extend Sky Broadband Router Coverage within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I hope someone might be able to help me to achieve my aim. I have a sky sagem router ...

apwestgarth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Herrington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Using Wireless Access Point to extend Sky Broadband Router Coverage

Hi
      I hope someone might be able to help me to achieve my aim. I have a sky sagem router and thats working fine, both wired and wireless. In my loft/office I have a wired network shich i believe I need to bridge to. I want my wired network to get their IPs from the sky router and to be able to browse the rest of the network. I have a D-Link DWL-2100AP Access Point which can run in the following modes - WDS; WDS with AP; AP Client and AP Repeater and I want to use this to gain access to the network. My last resort is to move the router into the loft as I know that way will work as the router will have a wired connection to my switch but I won't then be able to use my xbox as I don't have a wireless adapter for that. Can anyone help me achieve my aim - linking my wired and wireless networks up using the Access Point, which mode do I need to use. In the meantime I'm trying them all just can't seem to achieve what I want to

Thanks

Andrew

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Using Wireless Access Point to extend Sky Broadband Router Coverage

I wanted to try to help but I got lost halfway through. Please, break it down a bit.

Basically you can extend wireless coverage by adding an access point -- though a wireless router (ex ISP from car boot sale) will do the job -- when linked by ethernet to the the first router.

You just have to make sure that the second unit has a different IP address set and I think DHCP has to be turned off.

There's a guide on the Netgear site.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Forget about setting up a wireless point unless you are prepared to connect it to the router with an ethernet cable. Use Homeplug adapters to extend into your loft net work and sell your D-Link Access point. These are an example but there are many different types, some including wireless, to choose from
      HomePlug / Powerline Networking from VeseNET - PLA-85-E

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Thanks

Hi fihart, thanks for taking the time to reply. I've created a diagram of my situation above and hope this makes it clearer. I'm trying to connect the wired network to the wireless one with the DLink Access Point. All the info and specs reckon I should be able to just having issues and hoped someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the suggestions Isitme but I think I have the kit to do what I need just having difficulty getting it sorted. Don't really want to buy anything else if I don't need to.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

No the OP's wireless point comes with an AP externder mode, I have the belkin version of this, they are a nightmare to set up as the instructions that come with them are non existant.

The whole idea is to stick them in another part of the house where you have 1-2 bars and they will then synch up with your existing wireless network and act as a wireless base station.

You will need to set the thing up in AP repeater mode, you MUST have SSID turned on at your router so the repeater can see what it's trying to synch to and you need to put the repeater next to the router while you are setting it up so it can find the network easily and your not running about the house.

You need to give it an IP address in the same range as your router, so for a Sky router that is 192.168.0.1 I set my repeater to 192.168.0.255.

And then all other settings must be the same as your router such as WPA settings etc and if you use MAC address filtering the repeater has to go into the router as an "allowed" device.

That's the "simple" set up I have no idea how to make it work with your switch as the whole point of the AP mode is to widen the wireless network and I don't think you can use this product to pick up wi-fi and then stick it back into ethernet, the ethernet attachment is to allow it to be turned into a wi-fi point for routers without wi-fi.

Now you have several options, if you move the router to your attic you don't need to use the switch as the router has one that is built in and you can use the 4 wired ports in your office and try and use the range extender in the room with the Xbox with the wireless attachment. The downside is that the range extender inceases signal strength but drops wireless speeds as it is acting as a wi-fi bridge.

Or you move the router into the attic, use the router directly in your office as above, get a Xbox wireless adaptor and use a usb extender cable on the adaptor so you can move it away from the Xbox and get it nice and high.
      I can recommend this, I have stooped using my range extender due to poor speeds and stuck a 2m usb extender I bought from play for 3.50 (they go up to 5 meters) and moved the Xbox wi-fi adaptor to the top of my sideboard and it gets 3-4 bars from the router upstairs.

Or you keep the router near the Xbox and set the repeater up in your attic and run your office wirelessly with wireless cards.

In my mind the 2nd option is best as that is what I am running at home after many use of experimenting and apart from the 60 odd quid for a Xbox wireless adaptor and 5 for a 5 meter USB extender from play.com you don't need to muck about with the switch or the range extender and now I can stream Div X movies now wirelessly from my PC to Xbox with no lag or stutter so I get really good speeds and no drop outs.

Of course there may be other options but these are the 3 easiest I can see without too much mucking about.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Actually can you tell me what does your manual say is WDS mode?

As if there is a way for your D-Link to turn wireless back into ethernet as an external wireless card then what you can do is to put the router in the attic, (stop using the switch) use the D-link access point on the Xbox and your sorted.

It all depends on can your access point act in that way.

Router:
      Thanks

Hi, I've copied this info from the AP Manual:

Definitions of WDS and WDS with AP From the Manual

In WDS with AP mode, the DWL-2100AP wirelessly connects multiple networks, while still functioning as a wireless AP. WDS (Wireless Distribution System) allows access points to communicate with one another wirelessly in a standardized way. It can also simplify the network infrastructure by reducing the amount of cabling required. Basically the access points will act as a client and an access point at the same time.

In WDS, the DWL-2100AP wirelessly connects multiple networks, without functioning as a wireless AP.

thanks for the options so far it is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ok, it looks like then this is like my range extender then it looks like you can use it as a wireless point or as a wireless bridge in extender mode, but it cannot act as a way to get from wireless back to ethernet, as far as I can tell.

So it looks like your best bet is to drop your switch in your office and use wireless either upstairs or downstairs.

Of course what you could do is to stick your router in the attic and run a long ethernet cable from the Xbox to the router although I am not sure how much you want you want to stick holes in your house to do that.

Router:
      Thanks

hi thanks for taking the time to look at my problem. I currently have a long RJ11 cable running from the lounge to the loft so I think what I might try is running the router from the loft and connecting the xbox via the AP running as an AP Client as I believe this will still work from what I've read. I was trying to avoid moving the router but it should be ok - I used to run a BT Voyager router with the AP and switch so will give this way a go. I could run a long cat 5 down to the lounge but the rj11 is white and is not as noticeable as a long grey cat5 would be .

Thanks for all your advice.

Router:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Using Wireless Access Point to extend Sky Broadband Router Coverage

Hi thanks to all those who offered advice in particular Undecided Adrian. I got home tonight and sorted it all. I have moved the Sky Router into the Loft and have everything working fine up here and I have the Access Point Connected in AP Client mode to my Xbox 360 and that is communicating comfortably with my wireless router which is in the loft. Not exactly what I was aiming for but near enough. Thanks Everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast