Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Full T1 Wireless Support

This is a discussion on Full T1 Wireless Support within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Tier 1 are notorious for not responding to wireless issues correctly, the reason is simple: no agents are trained correctly ...

twocrazymonkies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Full T1 Wireless Support

Tier 1 are notorious for not responding to wireless issues correctly, the reason is simple: no agents are trained correctly for wireless issues- those who can help are those who already know how to get things fixed. I'm about to move to CST, so I'll make one last contribution.

Firstly, if you call with a wireless problem the Tier 1 agent will inevitably tell you to "plug in your yellow cable" after going through just about every possible question... (Is the account active, is there any abuse, are there any open CST tickets, is the router on, is there a dial tone on the BT line).

The one thing they won't tell you to do is try to make a wireless connection, therefore will get nowhere. I've taken over a couple of calls for people who have spent up to an hour on calls without asking that question, needless to say it doesn't take a genius to make a connection. Other agents try to replace routers at every available opportunity, even when not advised to do so by the Holy Grail (sic) that is "MOJO". Anyway, here's a quick list of fixes, step-by-step.

Vista:
      Right-click 2 screens with red X in bottom right of screen,

Click once on SKYXXXXX (making sure it matches with the bottom of the router, with 300 million customers in one corner of London there might be more than one Sky network in any given area).

Click Connect

Enter the Network Key (on the bottom of the router again) in capital letters

Click Connect again

Put a tick in both boxes and click Close.

9 times out of 10 this will work.

But what if...

No networks show up, try not to moan down the phone unless you bought your adapter from Sky. Just double-check that your adapter is switched on and all that.

If SKYXXXXX isn't showing up but other are...

Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Manage Wireless Networks on the left > Delete SKYXXXXX

Then try "Connect to a network" again.

If this doesn't work get the ethernet in (providing you have ethernet, if you don't you're pretty much stuck), browse to 192.168.0.1 and sign in admin/sky. Then Wireless Settings on the left hand side for Phase 1 and Setup in the top left for Phase 2.

Change the SSID to whatever you want.
      Change the channel, I always say 11, though I'm not sure why.
      Change the encryption under Security Options to WEP, enter any passphrase and click generate, copy the contents of the box beside Key 1 and click Apply then Logout.

Try "Connect to a Network" again.

=========================

For "Limited or No Connectivity" you'll never get any help on the phone.

Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Manage Network Connections (left hand panel) > Right-click Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol V4 (TCPv4) > Properties:

Use the following IP address:

IP: 192.168.0.15
      Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Use the following DNS Server Addresses:

Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.1
      Alternate: Blank (could a CST agent by any chance post what can be used as alternate?)

Do the same thing for "Local Only".

====================================

If you're set on getting a new router, just phone up and say you've got yours plugged in but the power light doesn't come on, you've tried different sockets which work and so on... you'll get one in no time.

Hope any of this helps.

Let me know what I've missed (it'll help me).
      Last edited by twocrazymonkies; 04-04-08 at 02:44 AM.

2. Advertisement
      jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Full T1 Wireless Support

Quote Originally Posted by twocrazymonkies View Post

But what if...

No networks show up, try not to moan down the phone unless you bought your adapter from Sky. Just double-check that your adapter is switched on and all that.
      And also check to make sure that your firewall is not blocking the network from broadcasting its name on your computer.
      Last edited by Saturday; 04-04-08 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Full T1 Wireless Support

Quote Originally Posted by twocrazymonkies View Post
      , with 300 million customers in one corner of London there might be more than one Sky network in any given area).
      Thats seems a tad high