Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless and the microwave oven

This is a discussion on Wireless and the microwave oven within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Saturday Ethernet is good for 100 metres. Well that's as maybe, however, my question was would not ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless and the microwave oven

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Ethernet is good for 100 metres.
      Well that's as maybe, however, my question was would not the HomePlug system be a neater solution. In fact I was reading an article only the other day about the HomePlug system and how it's really going to come into its own over the next couple of years, especially for static equipment e.g. streaming devices attached to your t.v. etc.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You said better, not neater.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
      Well I did wonder that myself so linked up my trusty Belkin router channel 11 same as the NetGear and guess what? no problems at all and no disrupted connection. P.S. Microwave about 2 years old good quality brand.
      Hmmm, sounds like the Sky Netgear router with a bit of a wireless fault then. Its going to be hard to convince Sky if you spill the beans Probably just best to say that the WLAN is simply not working with any device, any config and see if they'll send you a replacement. Generally, Netgear stuff is fairly robust, but like anything else they can have faults. Yours is certainly a bit of a weird one - but then again, thats wireless for you. About as predicatable as the weather.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Would the HomePlug solution not be better for you then if you don't trust wireless. Faster connection and easy to secure plus, the signal must degrade on your Ethernet over such a long run?
      Read my post after the one that you looked at lol i don't actually have a 30foot ethernet cable it was just an example and ethernet does not degrade unless it is damaged or you are running it for a brave distance.

hbdgaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I did wonder that myself so linked up my trusty Belkin router channel 11 same as the NetGear and guess what? no problems at all and no disrupted connection. P.S. Microwave about 2 years old good quality brand.

Netgeezer has a good point, it's worth leak testing your microwave just to be on the safe side. However, I'd hazard the guess that something in the microwave, aside from the water-heating-death-rays, is the source of the problem. The motor perhaps? I'm no electrician so I don't know what component is capable of producing noise at the frequency your router is using.

It's unlikely to be the "dangerous" microwaves however - the resonant frequency of water is very specific, so only a very narrow band of microwaves are capable of heating water. This is a good thing, considering it's microwaves mobile phones (and presumable routers?) use! It seems unlikely to me that your router is using the same frequency for your network as the microwave is to heat food. You don't have to turn the heating down when the router is on, do you?

It sounds like the microwave is more likely to explode because of dodgy electrics, rather than it being a problem with it leaking. Have you tried changing the channel on netgear router?

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hbdgaz View Post
      Netgeezer has a good point, it's worth leak testing your microwave just to be on the safe side. However, I'd hazard the guess that something in the microwave, aside from the water-heating-death-rays, is the source of the problem. The motor perhaps? I'm no electrician so I don't know what component is capable of producing noise at the frequency your router is using.

It's unlikely to be the "dangerous" microwaves however - the resonant frequency of water is very specific, so only a very narrow band of microwaves are capable of heating water. This is a good thing, considering it's microwaves mobile phones (and presumable routers?) use! It seems unlikely to me that your router is using the same frequency for your network as the microwave is to heat food. You don't have to turn the heating down when the router is on, do you?

It sounds like the microwave is more likely to explode because of dodgy electrics, rather than it being a problem with it leaking. Have you tried changing the channel on netgear router?
      Just had the microwave checked out today to be on the safe side and it's A1, no problems at all. Actually the Internet is littered with stories about microwave ovens killing wireless networks dead. It must be that the Sky router is more sensitive to it than either the Belkin or the BT HomeHub. I have also tried changing the channel 5 times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12