Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

V1 Firmware Update

This is a discussion on V1 Firmware Update within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Is there any way to force the my router to check for a firmware update?...

mccann85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waterlooville
      Broadband ISP: BE & O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Arrow V1 Firmware Update

Is there any way to force the my router to check for a firmware update?

2. Advertisement
      StarmanUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASTF
      Broadband ISP: O2 Home Broadband Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: V1 Firmware Update

I believe the router checks for an update each time it is rebooted/disconnected. Also Sky can remotely force an upgrade. But as it stands atm Sky are slowly releasing the update exchange by exchange.
      There is no Tier 3, only Zhul or rather the Customer Solutions Team...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

When the router is switched on for the very first time, it checks to see if there is a firmware update available for it on Sky's update server at dg834gt.skyfirmware.com. If a firmware update is available, it downloads it and reflashes itself. If no firmware update is available, the router records the time and date that it performed the check, and checks again in a few days' time. That record of the time and date is stored in the router's non-volatile RAM and so even if you switch the router off and then on again, it will still know how long ago it last checked for an update and so not check again unless sufficient time has passed since the last check.

When the router checks for a firmware update, it passes its MAC address to the update server. This allows Sky to make the update available only to selected customers (e.g., to beta testers only, or to users on a particular exchange).

You can fool the router into checking for an update earlier than it would otherwise by enabling telnet using Mognuts, telneting into the router and typing the following commands…
      Code:
      nvram unset update_default
      nvram unset ppp_terminate
      nvram unset prov_last_attempt_time
      nvram unset daily_check
      nvram unset prov_post_status
      nvram unset nvram_need_post
      nvram unset prov_last_update_time
      reboot
      This unsets all the NVRAM variables which record when the router last checked for a firmware update, so when the router restarts it will believe that it has never checked for an update before, and so will do an immediate check. Note that although this forces the router to check for an update, it won't force Sky to make that update available to you. If your router isn't on Sky's list of "routers to be updated", then it simply won't be able to get the updated firmware, and the router will just schedule another check in few days' time.

Finally, there is no way that Sky can force a router to take an update. All Sky can do is make the update available to your router and then wait for it to download it. I have checked the router very carefully for secret "back doors" that Sky might use to force the router to check for an update and there are none. In fact, it would have been very worrying if there had been, because it would have been all too easy for it to be discovered and exploited by hackers.
      Last edited by James67; 30-03-08 at 12:49 AM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Finally, there is no way that Sky can force a router to take an update.
      James, I am of the belief that you are wrong on this occasion. I cannot give you a reason, but I have been led to believe different from various sources.

Sky have made the routers to pull the update at exactly the time of Sky's choosing.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      James, I am of the belief that you are wrong on this occasion.
      Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later! I have to say, that I think I can see a way that it can be done.

There's certainly no back-door method which allows Sky to connect into the router quietly. If there were, then it would be detectable. But I have spotted that the behaviour of the firmware updater program on the router seems to be different in the early hours of the morning. I can't really work out what the boundaries of that "early hours" period actually are, but if the ADSL link is brought down and then brought up again after midnight, the updater checks immediately with the update server to see if an update is available. And it'll do that for up to three times in one night.

So to roll out an update, Sky can put a list of MAC addresses of the the routers they want to update onto the update server, and then, after midnight, sequentially kick off all the connections at whichever exchange they're working on. Soon after each router reconnects, it'll check to see if there's an update - which there will be - and it'll download it and re-flash itself.

Any stragglers - people who always switch their router off at night, and people who have been away on holiday - will get their update shortly after they switch their router back on, when the updater program sees how long it's been since the router last checked for an update.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

I know this sounds daft, but I have just checked the time on my router and it has gone over to BST, I wonder if Sky have been waiting for the clocks to change before they download on mass?.