Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

The best WAP?

This is a discussion on The best WAP? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, I am about to connect a WAP to my Netgear/Sky wireless router and wonder what others have used. ...

TonyHSoton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01489
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The best WAP?

Hello all,

I am about to connect a WAP to my Netgear/Sky wireless router and wonder what others have used.

Any advice and views as to the best product to connect to the router would be much appreciated. I have one of the small white original routers, the Netgear DG834GT. My firmware version is V1.02.28. Is there an update for this yet and should I update if there is?

I was also wondering what Sky send out to new customers now? Is it worth pestering Sky and insisting on them providing the latest bit of kit? What speeds are now possible? Sorry so many questions but have not really kept up with everything!

As a matter of interest, I have seen some great reviews at both ebuyer and Amazon in relation to the Netgear WG602 Wireless Access Point 54mbps 802.11g. Any one have any views on this bit of kit in relation to working well with the Sky router?

Many thanks for you all.

Cheers,

TonyH

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: The best WAP?

WAP is 2G/2.5G Mobile Phone technology. What do you intend doing with it?

Why do you want to connect an Access Point to a Sky Router when it already has one built in?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The WG602 is an Access Point costing around 40 -- normally one would use a Wireless Adapter unit costing from about 12 to 30.

Taking the Netgear range (partly to maintain consistent terminology with the router) for a desktop computer I would use the WG311 PCI adapter, though a WG111 USB units as sold by Sky would work. If you have a laptop check that it doesn't already have wireless -- if not choose WG511 PCMCIA or the WG111.

Thanks

Rememebr an Access Point and a Wireless Adaptor aren't the same thing. An Access Point radiates a signal and is often built into the WiFi Router. A WiFi Adaptor (mini-pci, USB etc) receives the signal from the router. You could use an Access Point to bridge between the router and a remote network but not (I think) to receive the routers transmitted signal.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself very well.

I have two rooms where the router is not reaching. The two front bedrooms do not pick up the wireless from the router and I want to use an internet radio in the bedroom and also generally improve the wireless coverage so that all of the house is covered.

I have already done the cabling, from a network wall port behind the router up to another wall port which is in adjacent bedroom (the other one that does not get the wireless signal). All I have to do now is connect a WAP to the wall port and I will have extended coverage. I am currently using a borrowed Netgear WAP WPN802 which I believe is working OK (just need to do some testing for signal strength etc), but as I have to return this I want to make sure I buy the right product. From what I have seen, the Netgear WG602v.3 is well recommended by the user ratings on Amazon and ebuyer, but really wanted some reassurance from Sky users who have done this sort of upgrade/coverage extension and of course interested in what products they used and what sort of signal strength etc they got. Don't mind spending the money, just don't want to have to do it twice, so any experiences or advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks to you all.

Cheers,

TonyH

Thanks

I've done almost the same at my son's. Very big Edwardian house with the Sky Router top floor front left but no WiFi signal down three floors at the back right. Initially I ran a LAN Cat 5 cable down one floor (ie the easy bit) and added a D-Link Access point, this gave WiFi across the whole house and outside in the external buildings. Access Point has about the same range as the Sky Routers WiFi.

Later we decided to stop using WiFi for security reasons and substituted HomePlug devices. These are Network over 240v mains cabling. We added one at the Sky Router that connected it to the 240v mains and then one wherever we wanted a PC - as they are completely portable we could move them as needed. They cost about 25 each and you need one more Homeplug than the number of devices you want to connect.

As a refinement we added a Network Switch to a HomePlug at one location so any number of PC's could be connected into the network by standard LAN cable - very useful for guest users. Total eventual cost was 100 and we were WiFi free.

Just for completeness - we had a Sky Netgear router connected to a D-Link Access Point, and as an experiment a Toshiba Access Point, all at the same time. The system worked well (remember to set each device to a different channel and the laptops to roaming so they connect to the strongest signal at any point).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: The best WAP?

Hi DMS,

Interesting points you make. Why did you feel the WI-FI was not safe? I am interested as I now have the view that people have to get past two levels of security, first the NAT firewall on the Sky router and then the encryption of the WI-FI. I would have thought quite safe but as I am always keen to learn would be interested on your thoughts. I must admit, I DO have the view that you will never stop the best hackers out there, but you can make things less than easy.

I used to have a software firewall such as Zone Alarm, and then I discovered that with no software firewall, I still passed all the tests at Shields Up, so I came to the conclusion you just don't need it and that the NAT firewall within the router was doing the job just fine, so now I don't bother with the software. Advantages are that Windows loads a bit quicker and you get a lot less hassle in general.

With regard to the Homeplugs, where do you get these from? I know Netgear do a similar thing, but the last time I looked at this sort of technology it was still very flaky with some saying its great but still lots slatting it. My understanding is that it will all depend on how you home is wired in terms of the ring mains etc (no expert here), but if it works then great. I suppose it is worth a punt if cheap. I think for now my WAP will do, and in any case the Internet radio is WI-FI so I could not use the Homeplug thing but still interested in case I need any extra points at some other time.

Many thanks,

Tony